Spalling Concrete
Good morning folks - I've got some spalling going on with our concrete walkway - its occurring in only a few spots where the to layer is chipping off. I suspect it is due to using too much salt in the winter. In my area we have temperature extremes of below zero to 90 degrees. I'm looking for some suggestions on products I could use to resurface the spalled areas with a high degree of probable success?

Thanks
Rick

You've been to the water parks and seen that rubber style coating they put on the concrete? The stuff seems a perfect item for something like this. I wonder why they don't come up with this for drives?

I think I know your answer, but I'm not a concrete expert, but I think the best solution isn't going to please you.
daddo said:

You've been to the water parks and seen that rubber style coating they put on the concrete? The stuff seems a perfect item for something like this. I wonder why they don't come up with this for drives?

I think I know your answer, but I'm not a concrete expert, but I think the best solution isn't going to please you.

+1
In my opinion you have two choices.Break up the walkway and re-do it. Install pavers over the spalled concrete is another option.
mike
I was kind of afraid of these answers - so there's no resurfacing product that would have a chance of holding up? I'm not likely to replace the walkway sections affected - not that many of them (yet) and it is purely an aesthetic thing for now.
Rick

Look up Top N Bond.

John
Rick_B said:

I was kind of afraid of these answers - so there's no resurfacing product that would have a chance of holding up? I'm not likely to replace the walkway sections affected - not that many of them (yet) and it is purely an aesthetic thing for now.

There is a lot of information about spalling and other concrete-related issues on ConcreteNetwork.com.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/search.ht...ete+repair

Here's one example. The video on the right is about fixing the spalling.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/fix-spall...veway.html
We have been using MG-KRETE at work.

pretty good stuff

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

I actually like a little spalling, it tends to prevent that thin black ice from forming.

There is a lot of sidewalk in my neighborhood that is decades old and worn down to aggregate and it is safer in the winter. But now they're replacing a lot of it with new concrete that is really smooth.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24