MDF for Raised Panel application?
You may have used HDF which is hard density fiberboard. I have raised panels on a table saw using HDF.Table saw instead of router or shaper keeps dust down to a minimum. Only straight side shapes can be done with a saw blade. If an ogee is required I would never consider any type of fiber board.
mike
MDF machines very nicely (wear a dust mask). I rub grain filler into the machined areas and sand. Use a shellac based primer and it will not raise the grain (or just use a dewaxed shellac on the machined surfaces and water based primer over the entire surface afterwards).

I think you may want to use extra hinges. The MDF is heavy--much heavier than wood. Or find some of this lightweight MDF : http://www.medite-europe.com/products/medite-ultralite

I've never used it but I've read it is very similar in properties except for the weight.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.