Painting Question
I have switched to Behr latex which includes primer. I have been pleased with the results.

I am now painting new unprimed sheetrock. Should I prime first or is the primer in the Behr paint enough to do the job?

Thanks, EG
I would. But you'll get answers that go both ways.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I just used some Valspar paint & primer in one on a box I built for my wife's printer. I am not impressed with it.
I made the box from plywood & primed it with Kilz first.

Then I painted the Valspar on it & it ran, clumped up, & generally looked like chit.
If I were you, I'd either prime the drywall with Kilz latex, or get some stuff called sanding sealer for drywall.
I don't know the brand name for it, but it actually seals the drywall so it doesn't soak up paint like a sponge.
What Fred said. I'm a big believer in primer for virgin surfaces, paint sticks better.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
You need to prime the drywall with a PVA primer which is actually the cheapest primer available. Do not under any circumstances use kilz as a primer on drywall. It is not a primer. It will not stick and paint Will not stick to it. It has a habit of peeling off.

After the PVA primer paint with whatever you want. The primer and paint in one is a marketing gimmick for those that don't want to do the job right and the company validates the customer with a product that says you don't have to prime it first. It's fine as paint just ignore the built in primer line and don't pay more for a paint because it says that.
Ever apply paint to bare pine or oak?

Remember how much the paint was drawn into the wood and looked terrible?

Here is what I predict if you use paint and primer(Have to predict since I have never used the stuff).

The first coat will look terrible. You will have to add at least one more coat.

Since you will have to do two coats, why not use the proper primer anyway?
Is Zinseer 123 a pva primer?
There is Valspar and there is VALSPAR. The Valspar at Lowe's is inferior to any of the Valspar at Ace Hardware. I use the Valspar Aspire line from Ace and find it a great paint.

I think almost all paints today are so-called "Paint & Primer" because of superior hide with the new formulations and tints. That being said, what they don't say is "Paint & Primer & Sealer," so I would prime the new drywall to ensure proper adhesion and a smooth finish.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Do it however you want. Either way is OK. My preference would be to use cheaper paint as primer since all you need is to fill pores with it. Save your money for the stuff you can see.
Mike

Non impediti ratione cogitationis