Brushes V. Brushless
Looking at the displays at the Borg and noticed the price difference between the two. I'm not convinced the extra money (about twice as much per tool) is worth it unless you are using the tool 40 hours a week.

Anybody have any experience with comparing brush/brushless drills or drivers?
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
I know brushless technology is superior to brush systems in general but in the case of battery power tools I make an exception. Based primarily on personal experience with Makita drivers and impacts I don't see a huge difference in performance and I use them a LOT at work. Combined with the fact that the tools are disposable and you are really buying the batteries I don't see the benefits of brushless justifying the cost.

If it was significantly more powerful and less weight I'd consider but not based on the current configuration.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Ask yourself a few questions. Do you find yourself frequently replacing brushes? Do you find your standard tools just don't get the job done, not enough ummmmph? Do you find they are hard to control the amount of power you need? If you answered no's, then the only other question is, did you just win the lottery?

HTH
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
One of the woodworking mags did a test on the Dewalt brushless, comparing it to the old version. The brushless had more power and the batteries lasted longer. If you use the tool a lot, and/or have demanding tasks, you would benefit from brushless. At Lowe's, the difference in price between a brushed and brushless 20v Max drill/driver is $30.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
We use our impact drivers hard at work. I know of a few guys that burnt out brushless tools. The favorites right now are the DeWalts and Milwaukee Fuel. I am killing a 6 month old makita quicker than I thought.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I've got the 20v max DeWalt brushless impact driver, overkill for what I do, I'll admit.

BUT, the 3 speed/torque settings are worth the extra price alone, the added runtime is a bonus.

Ed
I have the M18 6.5" Circular saw in both brushed and Fuel. In this it does make a difference. I am going to be selling the brushed one. Besides on the Fuel they added a rafter hook. Dan
AHill said:

One of the woodworking mags did a test on the Dewalt brushless, comparing it to the old version. The brushless had more power and the batteries lasted longer. If you use the tool a lot, and/or have demanding tasks, you would benefit from brushless. At Lowe's, the difference in price between a brushed and brushless 20v Max drill/driver is $30.

I must have read the review, and is my current thinking (more power and longer run time). I'm undecided on the value, however. Seems like it would depend on your use; I suspect for the hobbyist it's just extra money spent.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
For the hobbiest stick with the cheaper stuff. For work the brushless is best but still not worth the price difference except when it comes to saws. Brushless circular saws and sawsalls see a much bigger difference as they are battery hogs to start with.
Robert Adams said:

For the hobbiest stick with the cheaper stuff. For work the brushless is best but still not worth the price difference except when it comes to saws. Brushless circular saws and sawsalls see a much bigger difference as they are battery hogs to start with.

I guess it depends on how you use it. I'm a hobbyist and I have lots of projects where I'm using my drill heavy duty. Decks, fences, and even when I'm power sanding on my lathe. If all you're doing is screwing in fasteners on hinges and drawer pulls, stick with the more affordable version.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill