Walnut
Have you tried http://www.niagaralumber.com/ in upstate NY. I have purchased from them over the last 30-40 years. Have never been disappointed with what was received. A 7 drawer chest made with curly cherry still draws comments in my house.
wow
not sure what the lumber yards charge here but last week I took three oak logs to the near buy Amish to have then sawn
he had log run air dried walnut for 1.50 a board foot
some of it looked great I bought two boards just to show my wood working buddies
I would have bought it all but my current walnut stash is huge not liable to ever need any more
You may want to think about ordering from Steve Wall. Even with shipping he will probably be cheaper. If you make it down to MD let me know and I can get you killer wide walnut for $3-4 a BF.
$1.50/bdft??? Something doesn't feel right about that. Amish here in northeast Ohio range from $6-9 Bdft last I checked. All prices seem to have gone up lately. Maple is around $5!
cvillewood said:

$1.50/bdft??? Something doesn't feel right about that. Amish here in northeast Ohio range from $6-9 Bdft last I checked. All prices seem to have gone up lately. Maple is around $5!

yep buck and a half some of it pretty nice just of the mill not graded ETC no real wide boards so probably smaller logs
but the two boards I bought had little to no sap wood
Loggers around here can't even get sawmills to pay 30 cents a bd ft for big walnut logs, delivered to the mill on a flatbed bunk truck that can carry 4000 bd ft. It's not even worth their time and fuel to harvest the trees. I kid you not.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
Lil
Look for a local guy with a woodmizer and see what he has. I took a ash log over to a friends cousin a month or so ago to get sawn up. Asked him if he had anything else and he had a stack of ash, cheery, and some maple all 4/4 about 750 Bd ft give or take I got it all for 750 cash. I didn't go through it all so it's not select or anything. That's pretty much how I got all my wood. Kinda had if you don't have anyplace to store 2-300 bd ft of wood.
Dennis Thomas Jr
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

I got this pile yesterday from the same place I get most of my wood ... a local auction ... this most of the cherry ... there are a few long, wide cherry boards not in the photo.

[/image]

" />

Most of the walnut is on the left and in the back ... the cherry shows up as reddish color.

I got it all for less than the cost of one cherry FAS 1x8x10 at the BORG ... now I have to find someplace to put it ...
Those prices are about par. I had been going to a place down the GSP about exit 100 in a pinch.

But, now I have about 400 bf I brought back from Iowa milled out there...
Jason
Mesurei, cutti, cursi

I was just at my lumber yard yesterday and finally inquired on hardwood prices. Roughcut 4/4

Cherry and Walnut- 8.50
Maple- 4.50

I bought 50 feet of maple for a project I started today. It feels really weird woodworking again.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".