GeeTech 15" Planer, help
This is a good machine. I had one for many years before going larger. Gee tech makes them for other brand names and private labels then. Enjoy and congrats on the new tool.
I'll buy just about any old machine if I can get a very good price and fix them up to like new again and maybe flip them. I enjoy taking them apart piece by piece and making them function like new.
If you'd like to use this machine a long time, you might consider a take down, clean up and replace any rough bearings, worn or rusted out parts.

Nothing feels better than a tight machine.
So far I've polished the table, drained the grease tank, rinsed it with Mineral spirits and refilled with 80-90 grease. Roller bearings have had a few drops of oil. External gear chains have been cleaned and oiled. Columns have been cleaned and oiled. External rollers have been set level with the table.

Experienced friend said my knives weren't too bad and recommended running scrap pieces thru it for a while to get familiar with how to work a planer. I've been doing that and it seems to be working alright - still some serated roller tracks in soft wood so maybe I need to be setting my depth better? One problem is that the slack play in the wheel is about a quarter turn and it rotates back about that much while planing. That is the wheel doesn't hold steady while planing, do I need to take the wheel bearings apart or what?(I've tightened down the nut holding the wheel)

Again thanks for your kind help!

Chuck
Southern ILlinois
What wheel has play in it?

I would try decreasing serrated roller pressure, for softer woods.
Be sure to wax the tables.
Good luck. It's nice to have a nice stationary planer.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Quote:

One problem is that the slack play in the wheel is about a quarter turn and it rotates back about that much while planing.

you need to do one of two things:

if the elevation wheel is not holding you need to lock the table in place on the sides of the table Probably on the left side of your planer)

If that does not stop the movement make a wedge to set between the back of the wheel and the frame. I was faced with this issue on a very old planer many yrs ago and this made all the difference on the cheap.

The tracks you get in softwood are due to the feed drive rollers being incorrectly set. They need to be raised up to bite into the stock less.

BTW you really need to do a full tuneup to get the maximum efficiency and benefits of this until ( as all of them require)

here is a basic video of the process you do not need their fancy rotacator jig you can do all the work with a set of feeler gauges and a block of wood

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I went into the Rehab store in Medford, OR last year and found one for $150 so snapped it up. King something brand but very similar. Ran fine when I tried it, cut well and had a second set of blades and stand. Problem is it's still in Medford at daughters house 2200 miles away awaiting an opportunity to drive the Toyota to visit so I can haul it back.
One Ozark American
Joe: I've been down with a bad virus so haven't been able to get into the details of that nice Grizzly video. I'm surprised that you don't rcommend that I pull the height adjustment apart to check if the gears are overly worn and causing that quarter turn of slack. The height locking nuts would seem inconvenient at best to stop the backwards rotation of the height adjustment wheel but I'm a beginner and will try that as soon as I can get back into the shop.

JM: that $150 sounds like a hell of a buy, but it's dangerous visiting woodworking stores while doing visits to remote locations. Almost couldn't pass up a bandsaw while visiting in Bloomington Indiana but what saved me was that we were in my friend's car instead of my truck.
Southern ILlinois
Quote:

I'm surprised that you don't rcommend that I pull the height adjustment apart to check if the gears are overly worn and causing that quarter turn of slack.

I bought a brand new PM15 that had that quarter turn of slack. I work on a PM 15 , a Grizzly and a Reliant that are all going on 25-30 yrs old with the same issue

it has been the least of my concerns
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Sorry to have let this thread get old, I've been working on an ID theft problem on my tax return and it blew a lot of time.
The latest installment is that a friend got back into town and stopped by to look at the GeeTech planer. He says the knives are very dull and when I put a straight edge on the knifes the centers were concave about a 32nd. So as soon as I can I'll have to install the spare set of unused knives.
Also working on running a new 220 circuit into the NW corner of the shop to have a permanent spot for the planer - always too many projects but I'll try to keep this updated and I sure appreciate the help!
Southern ILlinois
I have the 1998 GeeTech 15” planner. I bought it new and has service me well the only thing I have done is lubing and blade sharpening/replacement as last year I replaced the 3 belts. I paid about $850 back then. Hope it works for you