Where can I find????
I have a few windows that do not stay open any more and need to replace the springs for a lack of a better word. The windows are probably from the 1970's or a little later. Not sure. There is no name on the windows and I have no idea what they are. They are double pane insulated windows.

I am looking for the spring that holds the window up or a replacement that can work. The tube for the spring is 18" in length and has a helix sort of spring. I have included a couple photos to help identify.

Any suggestions as to where to look would be appreciated. Thanks..

John T.
I'd start with old window companies that brag about being around since forever. I find old companies are usually near downtown areas in old buildings that look like they are near falling down.

Perhaps a contractor who saves old materials?
There used to be spring kits to retrofit old sash weight windows.maybe they are still sold.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

I've bought them at a local glass & mirror supplier. Take out the cylinder and take to the store or measure the ones you need. They are sold by the length of the cylinder.

Jim
Might also check out places like Restore or even some of the Goodwill/Salvation Army type places.
Just open the window, attach a little 2" C clamp and you're done
I had those but the aluminum windows were pure garbage even back in 1960 so I replaced with vinyl. The sleeves crack and the plastic piece at the tip breaks and no longer holds it open.

I did a search for window springs and found them pretty quick. There are also modern replacements that look better than the old style.
Yes I started looking after I wrote this and it seems these are still used today and not hard to find at all. Will see what they have at the local Home Depot. Maybe they can order a few. Hey i would not say anything bad about these items or the windows either. After all this time a few that stop working is a plus after some of the things I read on here. I will take that trade any day.
John T.
they are called balance springs the following is a great place to get www.amscousa.com/
south vietnam war collage
You need Spiral Balances and you should consider buying the tool to wind and install them. The tool is cheap. The Spiral Balances are not all the same so when you order, make sure you follow the ordering directions. They are color coded where the spiral goes into the tube, length is important. Most have pins that connect to the pivot at the bottom of the sash. Make sure you get the right pin configuration to fit your sash connection. The new spiral balance should look exactly like the ones you are replacing.Don't assume all the windows are the same. Check each one before ordering. I'm sure there's some YouTube videos to walk you through the installation and tension setting. It can be a little frustrating if you haven't done it before. The videos will help greatly.