Strangers In My Shop
You know you have a "REAL PROBLEM" when that "stranger" in your shop becomes YOU!
Wink   
Laugh 

Just Sayin'
Gene
Gene

"Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
(12-18-2016, 09:21 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Need pants with pockets or a tool belt.  No reason to be losing either of those tools in a room.  I buy the Duluth trading carpenter jeans for the pockets to a large degree I like the extra ballroom too

This made me laugh......Thanks Bob10.  I like those Duluth commercials where the cartoon character is cranking his private parts into a meat grinder to highlight how roomy the pants/underwear are in the crotch area.

Yea it sucks when the wife comes in the shop and begins rearranging my tools.  I set them on my bench in a certain area and she will put them where she "thinks" they should go.  I will probably never understand the organizational thinking of the female human being.  She squalks whenever I go into the kitchen and move some spices around or even better........................when I leave the toilet seat up.  Who cares?   If she cannot remember to put the seat down, then she just needs to drown.  She is a true conservative in politics, but her bathroom habits of whining like a Liberal really annoy me.  grrrrrrr.
well, I know logic defies some people, but it seems to me that she's, by definition, whining exactly like a conservative would whine.
If you organize like this, with nothing in drawers and everything in visible and in a designated space where 'missing' items are immediately visible, then out of place tools really stick out.  Note in the back the panel with the measuring instruments.  It's a purpleheart face over pine plywood.  Any tool that is missing immediately turns up a highly contrasted shape that is a clear signal both that something is missing and what it is.  Similarly, a missing chisel makes a 'gap tooth smile'.

[Image: IMG_0422.jpg]
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

(12-22-2016, 06:53 PM)jgourlay Wrote: If you organize like this, with nothing in drawers and everything in visible and in a designated space where 'missing' items are immediately visible, then out of place tools really stick out.  Note in the back the panel with the measuring instruments.  It's a purpleheart face over pine plywood.  Any tool that is missing immediately turns up a highly contrasted shape that is a clear signal both that something is missing and what it is.  Similarly, a missing chisel makes a 'gap tooth smile'.

[Image: IMG_0422.jpg]

When I look at your shop all I see is the 8/4 lumber and better of which I love to turn.

Plus to me your shop is messy right now and mine is just like it.
Mad
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Where is the room to add a couple without having to redo the whole system?
 Do you have someone come in and dust once a week?
Big Grin

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
Found this brace in a dead elm tree back in my woods. Doubt that the owner of the brace really intended to leave it there. Of course he couldn't read "No Hunting" signs very well, either

Attached Files Image(s)

I keep my mechanic tools in a similar way the sockets on rails and wrenches in a roll then again pretty much no one touches those without me being within a few feet.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(12-27-2016, 11:43 AM)thewalnutguy Wrote: Found this brace in a dead elm tree back in my woods. Doubt that the owner of the brace really intended to leave it there. Of course he couldn't read "No Hunting" signs very well, either

Wonder how much maple syrup he got from an Elm tree?

Ken
Worked as a professional auto mechanic for about seven years, before and during college. All of that time was on commission, so tool use and organization was a strict discipline, if one wanted to make money. Then spent over 20 years in the military, so my shop cleanup and tool storage disciplines are very high, and rarely ever leave a tool out or not clean up after use...

My wife mostly asks for tools if she needs them, and if she doesn't, she must put them back, because I don't have the issues described here......Just had my future daughter in law in the shop for several days, she wanted to learn how to use hand tools, and enenthough I never said anything about putting tools up or cleaning up after use, she did both religiously. Like to think it's because the shop was clean with every tool in a specific location when she came in the first time ;-)

Really enjoy shop visitors, have a large workbench, and thinking of adding another leg vise or twin screw vise on the opposite side of the bench just for visitors who want to do some woodworking.....hey, that might be a good thread topic-- what vise to add to an existing bench?

Andy,
mos maiorum

-- mos maiorum