ON a roll: another piece of old iron
(03-11-2017, 10:55 AM)daddo Wrote: I've never liked radial arm saws for anything but cross cutting, but I do offer my respect for the preservation of old tools- and to your friend.

I hear that a lot, but I can tell you that a quality RAS (like this one) that is well tuned is a true joy to use, and can do several things that are hard to do with any other power tool.  I don't need to turn the head for horizontal cuts too often, but when I do it makes the job easy.  I often think of how I would make the cut another way - and always come up short.  Here's the latest example of two cuts I used it for that I have no idea how it can be done with another machine. 

[Image: xxzGTnXdALNRHiebplvGHvjkbsJrokmUTeJ31Cw0...38-h628-no]

[Image: 4Vq_eBMOR-xBcyWl0swussnwsEaOBiwPYrICdq2c...38-h628-no]

[Image: TlAxk36T0vxVVjJCPed1w_ttsjoEmKJP9f-z7Pfg...38-h628-no]

John
(03-12-2017, 10:39 AM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Ken, I may have a few new 14" crosscut blades I can send you.

Hi Dave, that is very nice of you.  Yes I could use a 14" blade for this saw since it only came with 12s.  Send me a PM with what I owe you for it.  Thanks for the offer.  Off the subject but given your love of nice wood, I will mention that I just got a very nice 16" wide 8/4 walnut 12' long and 2 shorter 8/4 other walnut boards.  Plenty of lumber for a rocking chair and air dried for several years indoors and beautiful.  Also, I am still using off the curly maple I got from you several years ago for which I am still appreciative.  Ken
(03-12-2017, 04:26 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I hear that a lot, but I can tell you that a quality RAS (like this one) that is well tuned is a true joy to use, and can do several things that are hard to do with any other power tool.  I don't need to turn the head for horizontal cuts too often, but when I do it makes the job easy.  I often think of how I would make the cut another way - and always come up short.  Here's the latest example of two cuts I used it for that I have no idea how it can be done with another machine. 

[Image: xxzGTnXdALNRHiebplvGHvjkbsJrokmUTeJ31Cw0...38-h628-no]

[Image: 4Vq_eBMOR-xBcyWl0swussnwsEaOBiwPYrICdq2c...38-h628-no]

[Image: TlAxk36T0vxVVjJCPed1w_ttsjoEmKJP9f-z7Pfg...38-h628-no]

John

Nice work, John, as usual! RAS's are like a lot of other very versatile tools (routers come to mind), once you begin to use them, you come with additional ways to use them. About the only other way I can think of to make those cuts is with a nice, sharp backsaw.

Doug
I have a Forester and wouldn't hesistate to haul that saw. I've hauled 1000+lbs of arn without issue. Just take it a bit slower than usual and leave more room to slow down!

Nice score! Best wishes for your friend. He'll be happy it's going to a good home.
(03-10-2017, 10:56 PM)Ken Vick Wrote: John, in the strongest terms, has recommended that I ship it rather than trying to triailer it home attached to my Subaru Outback.  So throwing reaon to the wind, my young neighbor is putting a hitch on the outback and I have reserved a open small trailer whose weight combined with the weight of the saw is considerably below the towing capacity of the car.  So wish me luck for my migration north in early April.

I've towed some serious loads with my outback, and my forester.  Not for that long a distance, but they work fine for pulling.  Do you have a manual or an automatic?  I've never had one, but I believe you need to be much more tender with an auto transmission.  Make sure you give yourself lots of stopping distance. 

No idea if you're renting a trailer, or borrowing... 

There's a trick for getting an even lighter UHaul trailer. 
  • The "normal" lightest open/utility trailer is the 4x7 (aka FS) trailer at 630# empty.  7'8" x 3'4" inside.
  • Their MT (aka Motorcycle Trailer) is 550#, and pretty close to the same size - 7'8" x 3'9.5".  The deck is lower, as are the side walls.  And it has a ramp, not a door/gate.  Between the ramp & lower sidewalls, it's usually much easier to load.  

I live close enough to the local uhaul that I usually reserve the MT in person, and tell them I'm not using it for a motorcycle.  They don't mind.  I believe you could fake it online, but I understand it's a little grey per their rules.  Online, you have to claim you'll be towing a motorcycle.

Good luck!

job
(03-11-2017, 09:38 PM)Ken Vick Wrote: Hi Tapper, it is indeed a GA 50.  I have already taken the motor yoke off the arm to diminish the stress on the arm during travel.  As far as I can tell it is complete and original except the table.  I have not checked any of the parameters here and won't until I get it back to Lewiston but I don't expect any problems tuning it up.  Ken

You might consider taking off the arm as well, I have a much smaller version, but the design looks the same and removing the arm wasn't a big deal, and you could put that in the back of the Outback as well.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I think I found your next planer.  You will need something bigger to haul it home 

http://machinerymax.com/Event/LotDetails...ace-Planer
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(03-13-2017, 01:53 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I think I found your next planer.  You will need something bigger to haul it home 

Yeah, that little 20" planer Ken has will have to go now that he's moving up to big iron.   And he has room ....

John
(03-13-2017, 01:53 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I think I found your next planer.  You will need something bigger to haul it home 

Might need a larger service panel to feed it as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-12-2017, 04:46 PM)Ken Vick Wrote: So an update on the shipping of the RAS front.  A very nice woodnetter suggested I contact his SIL who is coming to NY in early April with an enclosed trailer about whether he had room on his trailer for it.  His intended route was to take him through Syracuse, about 170 miles from Lewiston where I live.  He thought he had room and we discussed me meeting him in Syracuse and transferring the saw to a Uhaul trailer that I would rent to bring it home.  But there were questions about how we would be able to make the transfer, given the weight of the saw.  He graciously suggested he would bring  it to Lewiston for what I think is a very reasonable price.  I worked out a route for him to get to Lewiston that came more directly from Florida than going through Syracuse.  So by doing this route, he would only add 165 miles to his route instead of 340 if he had had to make the round trip detour to and from Syracuse.  Because his trailer is covered I don't have to go to the trouble of encasing the saw in plastic to protect it from the elements as I would have had to do if I were trailering it in an open trailer.  The woodnetter who facilitated this can make himself known if he wants but I wanted to acknowledge how greatful I am for his intervention.  Ken