Laser Engravers, CNC Routers, Etc
If I were younger CNC or laser or whatever would be in my shop.  I have a guy that does laser stuff for me.  I would do a lot more if I had my own.  CNC - I would find a use for it.  My brother (pro-cabinet maker) has been thinking about adding a CNC because some customers have asked about custom panels with designs on them.  I don't know if he has a source to do them.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Mike

I feel it is just another tool.  I know people who only do hand tools and look down at others that use a table saw or planner or jointer or bandsaw but I feel they help me get the project done faster. 

I hope we get a small one so we can do custom writing on pens and making nice lids to boxes.

If I give up working with wood and let tools to do all the work then I lose the satisfaction of holding and working it, but the tool/equipment is only and end to the means.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-29-2017, 08:15 AM)gMike Wrote: It seems like Rockler is really pushing this new type of technology on the average woodworker as the next wave of woodworking.  Personally, I don't see them as something that I want in my own shop.  I guess I'm old school enough to want the make the cut or chop the mortise myself rather than program a machine to do it for me.  I recognize that there has been a lot of technology introduced in woodworking since my Grandfather's day but none of it involved programming a computer to do something.  I guess I'm just old and resistant to change but I know I would rather spend $4,000 on wood than on a machine that takes the joy out of woodworking.

How do the rest of you feel about the potential impact of computer controlled machines in woodworking?

I can imagine the same conversation between two guys the first time they saw an electric router or scroll saw.