OLD STYLE FINISHING - WOOD GRAIN EFFECT
I'm wondering why anyone would go to the trouble of applying a fake grain pattern if the grain of the actual wood were any good.  That makes me think the wood underneath is likely something non descript.  Post some photos after you get it stripped, maybe wipe it with mineral spirits first to highlight the grain. 

John
Here is how it was done in 1885.....now that I know what it is I have to figure out how to do it in 2017.....lol.    Bob

[Image: quartersawn-graining-machine.jpg]
I think that's called graining.  You can buy tools for that as it's often used on fiberglass doors.  That might be a good place to start searching. 

John
Thanks once again John.   There are many tools for graining but I can't seem to find one that would produce the grain pattern I need which, among other things, is called "tiger oak".  I have found some techniques which look pretty good but way beyond my skill level.   

This has turned into a "rainy day" project as I have much yard work to do but I am determined to see it through...over time... lol.

Regards,

Bob
A few years ago, I was in Farmington CT for a family wedding.  While there, had the opportunity to tour the Hill-Stead estate of Alfred Pope.  It was noted for all the original artwork by famous painters.  I kept looking at the woodwork and marveled at the quantity and quality of QS white oak that was in the home.  Most of it was behind the velvet ropes, but I eventually did get a little closer look at some built in book cases and noticed that the grain looked to be artificially applied.  The docent was mainly interested in talking about the paintings, not the woodwork and furniture, but I asked her about this and she did confirm that it was painted grain.  While impressed at the quality of the work, I was disappointed it wasn't all genuine white oak.  I can't recall what the actual wood species was.  The house was built around the turn of the 20th century and apparently painted grain was a very popular thing back then.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Thanks for the history and links.....all very helpful and informative.  Now the rest is up to me.....

Regards,
Bob
I want to thank everyone that contributed information for me to tackle and complete my project.  I learned at lot.

Now, here is the story;  you can basically disregard everything I said prior to this....lol.  Once I stripped the old finish I discovered the desk was made from a lesser grade tiger maple.  It had natural imperfections as well as scars accumulated over the years.  If left unpainted and properly finished it would closely match an old table we have.  It would look old and rustic and match our decor better than the original dark colour.

Having said that, I still examined my options to try to replicate the old style faux finish and decided that I would have to dismantle the desk in order to make the fake graining look consistent. The original fake grain was obviously applied before the desk was assembled and it wasn’t practical to take it apart.  After much thought, and prompting from my wife, it was decided not to proceed as originally planned.   Sorry dad.

I used a dark mahogany stain to slightly highlight the grain and finished it with several coats of natural Danish oil.  It turned out looking pretty good, at least my wife is happy with it....lol.   Some photos are attached.

Regards to all,

Bob

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnmAk7fIvmHw-j4i97l0DD5Me0Du
Looks like Plan B turned out pretty nice. Looks great. I would have probably done the same.
Thanks Scoony....

Bob