Lawn Tools
I need a new string trimmer. If they last a year I consider myself lucky, though I do use them hard. I also have a tendency to buy cheap. So, if I decide to spend a little more, is it worth it? Would an upgrade to a gas (from an electric) be worth it? Are the gas models with various attachments (small tiller and what else is useful) be worth it? Brands to recommend? Stay away from?

Thanks

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
Cheap is cheap.  Straight shaft is much better than the curved shaft, also more expensive.  I went through several of the ilk sold at HD and Lowes, 2-3 years max (I have a two acre lot), finally bit the bullet and bought a Stihl straight shaft, going strong for 5 years now with no sign of problems.  Buy the most tool you can afford as they have several price points.  I also have their backpack blower, hedge trimmer and chain saw.  So you could say that I'm a believer, but all are still going strong.  But always, always use premium gas and good mix oil with stabilizer; if you buy Stihl's oil they give you another year on the warranty.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I hear good things about the battery powered string trimmers, but you will pay about as much for a good one as you will for a decent gas trimmer. 

I've had a couple of the cheaper gas trimmers and they worked fine for a while, for basic grass trimming around the house, but I needed something a little heavier duty to tackle the tree line and a couple banks on the property.  I now have a Husqvarna trimmer.  Spent about $300 for it a few years ago.  Weeds cower in fear before it. 
Big Grin
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

After 25+ years of buying cheap battery units & even cheaper gas units, I bit the bullet & bought a Stihl 2 years ago.
I paid about $225 with taxes & a 5 year extended warranty for it.
It has yet to fail cutting everything, even saplings if they are small enough.

Linky
I have a Stihl FS 90 (or whatever one has the camshaft).

An absolute beast. A bit on the heavy side.

Good for a large acreage.
If you are going to use it hard buy a Stihl or pro level Husqvarna. The battery trimmers are a world different today than 2-3 years ago. For "normal" grass trimming around the yard, ecen a big yard, they are more than adequate...
Well I have pretty much decided to go with a Battery operated one. Unfortunately, I was hoping to find a Dewalt 18V model (since that is what I already have in cordless) but they only have the 20V versions. Does anyone know if the Dewalt 18 and 20 v batteries are interchangeable?

Thanks

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
Dewalt sells an adapter - Amazon Link

But check compatibility, doesn't appear to work on all possible combinations.
I know you decided to buy battery, but for whomever else reads this thread, I have had my Stihl straight shaft trimmer for ~17 years. Until this year, I would use it for nearly 1 hour per week.  The new place I just bought does not require much trimming.   It is reparable.  I had it repaired once and I replaced the carburetor myself about 2 years ago.  Do the required PM on them, and they will give years of service.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(07-06-2017, 02:07 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: Well I have pretty much decided to go with a Battery operated one. Unfortunately, I was hoping to find a Dewalt 18V model (since that is what I already have in cordless) but they only have the 20V versions. Does anyone know if the Dewalt 18 and 20 v batteries are interchangeable?

Thanks

Pedro

The current lithium 20v batteries have adapters to be used on the older nicad 18v tools. Pretty much all of the old nicad btteries are all gone now. The batteries typically lasted a year or so of use but dewalt is still selling them for some reason. If you have any of the older nicad batteries their capacity will be severly reduced due to age and wouldnt run a weedeater even if they had an adapter. 

Stihl makes great tools but make sure you use their starting method.. I have no issues with the better poulan and ryobi engines. My issue is that the straight shaft units are too short on the homeowner grade ones. I have to bend over to use one while a curved shaft is more comfortable. If i dont bend over the cutterhead is veey close to my feet. Its fine if you are 4'6".