butcher block countertop in unconditioned space
I'm going to but store-bought cabinets (7') in a one car garage that's insulated but not heated/cooled.  Two 3-0 windows, one 3-0 door, and one garage door.

I'm thinking of putting a store-bought butcher block countertop on it.  Would that be a problem due to the humidity swings from summer to winter?

Wonderin'.
This isn't a woodworking group, its a group of mostly imbeciles and retards.  FearMonger  8-Feb-2012
If God had a sidearm, it'd be a 1911.
What's the countertop going to be used for?  Butcher block would cause concern for me.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

non food
work bench, work area, etc
This isn't a woodworking group, its a group of mostly imbeciles and retards.  FearMonger  8-Feb-2012
Don't think it would have any problems as long as you made allowance for the butcher block to move a little and not be attached tightly to the base.    Roly
I'm leanin that way, attach with the "slot" treatment on the cabinet part and give it some room to move
Mounted correctly it should be fine, stability-wise. 

I'd be more concerned with the things I do in the garage would muck it up in no time. Gas, oil, greasy things, paint, etc. would be tough on a BB surface.
If all the blocks in the top are oriented the same way, no problem. If some blocks are 90 degrees to the others you may see stress on some joints, exacerbated by the thinness of the block. I would be happier with a laminated strip top all edge grain up like a workbench top. My $0.02.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

thanks for all the input
I've had an IKEAbutcher block countertop on a bank of cabinets in my unconditioned walkout basement shop for 2.5 now with no trouble. I'm in Alabama so it probably near always humid I wouldn't say we get big swings.
-Marc

waterloo, did you put a finish on your top?