Which router plane? Veritas or Lie?
Question 
A little birdie told me that I'm getting a router plane for Christmas, but also told me to figure out which brand to get.

I've never used a router but already see how useful it will be for me.  I've also never owned any of Lie's or Veritas' tools but I know they're well regarded as high quality tools.  I'm leaning towards the Veritas because it has the option of the fence.

Can any of you offer your thoughts, particularly if you've owned/used both?
Semper fi,
Brad

I have and love the Lee Valley large router plane, especially after they sent me the upgraded depth stop. The deal breaker when I bought it was the closed throat, which sometimes makes all the difference in balancing it near an edge. At the time, Lie-Nielsen's router plan had an open throat. I guess it's supposed to give better visibility to the cutter. And you can always put a second, supporting piece near your workpiece of you are routing near and edge and don't want the plane to tip. (I do that too, sometimes). But I see they offer a closed throat version now.

LN is a few bucks cheaper right now. LV has the fence. That could be the deal breaker, but it is easy to never need a fence with a router plane (for the record, I have one, like it and use it on rare occasions -- but I can't think of a case where I would strictly need one. Presumably we knife and chisel a bit first anyway to establish the edges..)
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
A few dollars doesn't make a difference in a purchase like this; she and I agree that you buy what works and the best that you can afford so that you only buy it once. I don't know that I'll ever need the fence, but having the option, should I need it in the future, makes it more flexible. In theory.
Semper fi,
Brad

(11-07-2017, 01:38 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: A few dollars doesn't make a difference in a purchase like this; she and I agree that you buy what works and the best that you can afford so that you only buy it once.  I don't know that I'll ever need the fence, but having the option, should I need it in the future, makes it more flexible.  In theory.

You can't go wrong with either maker; that being said I've used both and personally prefer the LV version.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I love the LV router I have. I equally like the LN when I had a chance to use it.

Things to consider.
I've never used the fence.
I've never changed the blade to the tip or the smaller size.
Removing the cutter tip for sharpening is a great thing.
I mounted a 3/8" thick piece of hardwood on the bottom to extend reach and more reference when trimming tennons... Simulates a closed mouth.

At one point I had a problem with my LV router, I called then, and they sent a new one to me the same day. No questions.
There is also an ergonomic difference. Lie-Nielsen handles are oriented straight up and down. Lee Valley angle theirs outward. I find the LV version very comfortable to use. I have no experience with the LN version. I could see this being a personal preference thing that might tip the scales between two excellent tools.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I seem to recall that Stanley made two of these planes.....#71 and a #71-1/2.    Cruise along Ebay and find one or two.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Seems a pretty fair comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAReqvUXpqY
I had the closed throat LN awhile and it was very good, but I sold it and bought a LV because sharpening the LN blades was a huge PITA and the depth adjuster on LV is a littler nicer and locks a little tighter IMO.

Just my two cents, but the LV router plane is the winner for me.
(11-07-2017, 04:58 PM)UpstateNYdude Wrote: sharpening the LN blades was a huge PITA

Sharpen from the bottom (ie treat the bottom as the bevel)

simple diagram:
L
^ hone here