Call for Juried Woodturning Show Entries
Information 
I received the below through our local AAW club today. Passing it along in case it might be helpful to someone. My apologies in advance if this is a bad opportunity.

I did find the bit about the museum to be interesting. Has anyone here been to The Center for Art in Wood in Philly?

Quote:I am writing to invite you to participate and to ask for your help in getting the word out to all members of the Tidewater Turners of Virginia about a special Turned Wood Exhibit. I am the Gallery Director at BlackRock Center for the Arts, a nonprofit multidisciplinary arts center located in Germantown, MD (a suburb of Washington, DC which is also convenient to Frederick and Baltimore, MD). We have hosted a juried fiber art exhibit for several years, and in an effort to feature artists and artisans working in other fine craft media we will present “HANDCRAFTED: TURNED WOOD Juried Exhibition” from January 13 – February 24, 2018 in our beautiful 1500-square-foot Kay Gallery. Our goal is to feature functional, sculptural, and creative turned wood pieces by woodworkers and artists from our region.

We have just extended the Entry Deadline to Sunday, December 17, 2017 because we only received entries from a small number of woodturners in our original Call for Entries. A local woodturner named Phil Brown, who is on the board of Montgomery County Woodturners, has been trying to get this information out to local AAW Chapters and encouraging turners to submit entries. Phil has had some serious health problems recently, and I really don’t want to let him down. So I am reaching out to ask you and other members of Tidewater Turners of Virginia to help make this special turned wood exhibit a success.

Please make an announcement at your next Tidewater Turners of Virginia meeting, send out an email to your members, and post the information on your guild website. I really hope you will consider submitting images of your own work and also pass on information about this opportunity to turners you know personally and in your guild chapter. Woodturners who live in MD, DC, VA, DE, PA, and WV are encouraged to submit entries of turned wood pieces created within the past three years. A prospectus is attached to this email which I hope you can please share.

All entries will be carefully reviewed by our esteemed juror Fleur Bresler, who is a collector of turned wood and a huge supporter of woodturners. She supports craft schools, art organizations and museums with her philanthropy and has donated many pieces to museum collections. Bresler has funded exhibits and programs at the Renwick Gallery and is also a commissioner for the Smithsonian American Art Museum. I believe she has one of the largest collections of turned wood in the U.S. (possibly the largest collection). Bresler is also one of the founders of The Center for Art in Wood (a wonderful museum in Philadelphia with a large collection of turned wood).

Below is more information about the Call for Entries:

HANDCRAFTED:
TURNED WOOD JURIED EXHIBITION

Entry Deadline Extended To: December 17, 2017
JUROR: Fleur Bresler, Collector and a Commissioner for the Smithsonian American Art Museum.
ENTRY FEE: $15 for the first piece, and $10 for each additional piece (maximum of 4 pieces)
BlackRock Center for the Arts invites woodturners to submit entries for HANDCRAFTED, a turned wood exhibition juried by Fleur Bresler, who is a collector and a Commissioner for the Smithsonian American Art Museum. The exhibition is dedicated to enhancing awareness of turned wood, and providing a venue for woodturners from our region to share their functional, sculptural, and creative endeavors. Woodturners over age 18 living in Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington, DC and West Virginia may submit entries of original works created with the past three years (October 2014 – December 2017). Selected works will be on display in the Kay Gallery from January 13 through February 24, 2018. Entry Deadline is December 17, 2017. (image: Chuck Engstrom)

The Full Prospectus with all the details can be found on the BlackRock website at this link:
www.blackrockcenter.org/galleries/call-to-artists

Submit Entries Online through Submittable (a secure Call for Entries website where entry fees can be paid by credit card or PayPal) at this link:
https://blackrockcenter.submittable.com/submit

For any turners who do not wish to apply or make payments online, it is possible to mail the required information and a CD of digital images along with a check for the entry fee. Arrangements can also be made for those who wish to email images and mail a check for the entry fee. It is best if those applicants contact me directly and I will be happy to answer questions and assist in the process.

Again, I really appreciate your participation and your help in passing on this information to other woodturners you know and in the guild(s) you are associated with. Please make an announcement at the next Tidewater Turners of Virginia meeting, send out an email to your members, and post the information on your guild website. We really want to make this exhibit of Turned Wood a success. I hope you will submit your work and also encourage other turners to enter their work to be part of this special exhibit focused on turned wood.

Kind regards, 
Anne

Anne Burton
Gallery Director

{phone number eleted|}

BLACKROCK CENTER FOR THE ARTS
12901 Town Commons Drive, Germantown, MD 20874
www.blackrockcenter.org
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I've never been to the center for art in wood but it has been on my bucket list for quite a few years.  The center is the real deal, when you look at the names who have exhibited their you can tell.  I wanted to see the Ray Allen and Lincoln Seitzman exhibits but I'm pretty sure they aren't on display anymore. As far as the call for artists, the fees seem very very reasonable.