Daily Bench Shot
Goodness Rob, you can use that bad boy for a mirror! Great Job!
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(02-01-2019, 01:50 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Polishing my...

Block plane blade!  Was a bit bored and didn't really have a lot of time to do much in the shop last night.  So pulled out the set of diamond paste syringes I got off eBay a few years ago and went to work on the back of a LN102 blade.  LN finishes them off at somewhere around p400 grit equivalent which is in the neighborhood of 40 micron (um).  The paste kit starts at 40um and ends at 0.5um.  The cheaper green stropping crayons are around 5-10um.  This is of course if you can believe the labels...

Just a dot of the paste is needed.  I cut up strips of copier paper and they (usually) stick all by themselves to my granite plate.  Then you work through the grits.  When the paper changes color from the dye in the oil to nearly solid black, you are probably done with that grit.

Good way to kill 30 minutes or so.  It goes very quickly.

FYI, : eBay Link

I can't remember who I bought them from the first time but this is the kit I bought a couple years ago.  They show up all the time on eBay for between $5 and $12.  Often times the $5 kits have only 5 or 6 grits, sometimes the coarse ones, sometimes the fine ones.  YMMV
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Part of the breakfast bar top:

Attached Files Image(s)

Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.

Cool

There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
This is more of a Man Cave Shot than a bench shot. Since the table top has taken over the shop, this had to be moved to the Man Cave.  I need a bigger shop
Smile

Was able to get the finish on the base yesterday before the game......  I am using Minwax Antique Oil Finish

[Image: KEh-YKh3-RTba5-V0-LOiv-TI5-A.jpg]

I will be finish sanding the top and getting the first coat of finish on it today if my schedule cooperates.

Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Progress

+several
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
Steve that is awesome!
Quote:I cut up strips of copier paper and they (usually) stick all by themselves to my granite plate.

Copier paper? The plain white 500-sheets-per-ream copier paper?

Interesting. How does this adhere to the granite plate by itself?

Do you have a picture of this also ... love to see this part of your process.
And thanks for the link ... might try the diamond paste for that price.
~Dan.
(02-05-2019, 07:47 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: Steve that is awesome!

Winkgrin

John, looks lie your table is about whipped into shape. Lookin good (where's the thumbs up icon)
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020