Hole Saws - What are the best ones?
All of the above is great advice. One more point to consider: check the teeth for sharpness, even if they are new. The hole saws I've had have never been particularly sharp out of the package. I have touched up the teeth on my hole saws with a triangular file and it made a big difference.
(02-25-2018, 07:43 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I have and use Bosch's power change set. Made for wood, not metal. PC11PCM set #.
Everything snaps on. Makes it easy to get that wood plug out of the cutter.
Highly recommended

NOT made for metal.

Well, I've been looking at reviews and what YouTubes are available, and decided to purchase the smaller Bosch Kit shown below (HB19EL on Amazon HERE) - the snap 'on & off' seems easy and quick, and plug removal should also be easy - BUT, I'll use the other tips given previously, i.e. slow speed, dust relief holes inside the ring, and drilling from the other end (if possible) or using a backer board to prevent tearout.  Thanks again for the comments.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
The bits snapping off of the holder, you will likie real quick.
Big Grin 

No more trying to unscrew a stuck saw bit off of the mandrel.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-27-2018, 03:27 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: The bits snapping off of the holder, you will likie real quick.
Big Grin 

No more trying to unscrew a stuck saw bit off of the mandrel.

Really lookin' forward to using this Bosch set - got some more holes to drill and hope for a 'revelatory experience' - 
Yes  Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
I'm a Lennox fan for hole saws.

In this application though, a hole saw would be the next to last thing I reached for.

My current arsenal selection would be:

1) Forstener bit
2) Auger bit
3) Holesaw
4) Paddle bit

If the material is over 3/4" thick, then I really get leery of using the hole saw.
(02-28-2018, 01:49 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: I'm a Lennox fan for hole saws.

In this application though, a hole saw would be the next to last thing I reached for.

I am seconding this.  Holesaws are a construction tool.  The only reason I use holesaws in woodworking is if the hole is over 2" or to draw a radius to be cut out by more precise tools.

For the same price you just spent on a holesaw kit, you could have bought a cheap extensive forstner kit.
http://www.rockler.com/22-piece-forstner-bit-set
A carpenter's house is never done.

1) Forstener bit
2) Auger bit
3) Holesaw
4) Paddle bit

If the material is over 3/4" thick, then I really get leery of using the hole saw.

Hi Guys - I have several sets of Forstner bits - love and used them often - not sure that I had a large one to match the dowel I needed the holes - I usually use Forstner bits in my drill press, but have used the smaller ones w/ hand-held drills - but for the latter use w/ larger Forstner bits (say 3/4" to 2" or so) is hand-held drilling recommended or should some type of guide be used - thanks for any comments - just may buy be 3-4 larger ones?  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
I see you already purchased the Bosch.  I like the Milwaukee, mostly because of the shape of the slots in the side.  Since it is stepped, I can get a pry tool in their easily.  Like the Bosch, they pop on and off the mandrel easily. 

I do believe you will be happy with the Bosch though.

[Image: milwaukee-hole-saws-49-56-0213-64_1000.jpg]
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Rocking the drill slightly in a circular motion while drilling will allow the plug to come out easily.

I've only used Lennox so I don't know if there is a better set out there.

1) Forstener bit
2) Auger bit
3) Holesaw
4) Paddle bit

I question the listing of Auger bit as second in the list.  Maybe because I used it as a way to drill 2x4s for running wires during construction.  I bought one once and use it to it, well forever.  Once again a tool for construction use only.

Are you saying a new auger bit would be a more precise tool than my forever auger bit?
A carpenter's house is never done.