I need a tile saw
I am just about done with the remodel in the half-bath in my home.  Wainscoting is in, the toilet and sink are out.  The old mosaic floor tile has been chipped out.  I just need to level the surface (I have a few divots from an over-enthusiastic hammer drill 
Big Grin  not my fault).  The walls and ceiling are painted, and all new trim around the window and door.  

I am planning on putting down Cararra marble 12" x 12" tile.  I will need to lay down just 35 tiles, so this is not a big job.  But I will need a saw.

I have one other bathroom to do and then I will probably retire the saw.  But since I work slowly I don't want to rent.

Durability will not be the issue, nor will be the speed of the cut.  But I do want an accurate and solid fence or guide system.

Recommendations?  I'd like to keep it under $250.00 if possible.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Harbor Freight

I bought one as a throw away, I only needed to do my kitchen. I've lost track of how many times I've loaned it out. Come to think of it, I don't have it, I'm not sure who I loaned it to last....
Laugh
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(03-12-2018, 11:59 AM)CLETUS Wrote: Harbor Freight

I bought one as a throw away, I only needed to do my kitchen. I've lost track of how many times I've loaned it out. Come to think of it, I don't have it, I'm not sure who I loaned it to last....
Laugh

Which one?  The $67.00 ones have really flimsy fences.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea...=Tile+Saws
Harborfreight craigs lost or pawn shop. I bought mine at a pawn shop for $60. The blade was even fairly new. New that machine is around $450. 

The table saw style will probably do what you need. The most important part is the blade. A cheap saw with a good blade is much better than an expensive saw with a bad blade.
Check this Skil.

https://www.amazon.com/SKIL-3540-02-7-In...l+tile+saw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVDMQFsXf_o
(03-12-2018, 01:38 PM)Cooler Wrote: Which one?  The $67.00 ones have really flimsy fences.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea...=Tile+Saws

The $67 one...

A fence is nothing other than a guide... you don't even need one.
Mark

(03-12-2018, 02:07 PM)CLETUS Wrote: The $67 one...

A fence is nothing other than a guide... you don't even need one.

It works like a table saw.  I only use my table saw with a fence or a miter gage.  Do I free-hand the cuts?
(03-12-2018, 02:34 PM)Cooler Wrote: It works like a table saw.  I only use my table saw with a fence or a miter gage.  Do I free-hand the cuts?

You could free hand it... I'm just saying that for how little you need the the saw, I wouldn't spend more money because of the chintzy fence.
Mark

Maybe just get a 4" diamond blade for your angle grinder. There's not much need for a saw. Pretty mush all cut edges end up under trim. I have friends who are flooring professionals and they haven't used tile saws in years. They can cut to a line with the grinder as well as if using a saw.
(03-12-2018, 02:34 PM)Cooler Wrote: It works like a table saw.  I only use my table saw with a fence or a miter gage.  Do I free-hand the cuts?

I free hand mine with my tile saw.  Cut edges go against the wall, and are covered with silicon or shoe molding.  Once you start cutting the tile you are committed.  Have it lined up best you can and go.  There is no mid cut correction available, and but that I mean you can't steer it.  Tile saws don't kick back on you like a table saw either.