Dresser Design/Slides Help
I'm finally getting more serious about working on these dressers (will build two).  I've built other furniture similar to this design and have really liked how it comes out.  However, the other furniture is more "living room" furniture with drawers that are narrow/long and not used as much.  Since this will be a dresser and get a lot more use, I think my normal method of a drawer slide "tray" with a flush drawer front and tip-out support won't work.  I think it will bind and not be enough tip-out support for a shallow drawer.

I don't want to use metal side-mount slides as I don't think it will look very good.  I've been looking at the Blum undermount slides.  However, I don't need any of the "blum motion" stuff.  I also don't like how much is wasted at the back because of the way the drawers mount to the slide with the "hook" at the back.

I think with any slide type, I would need a separate front from the drawer box itself.

I've been thinking about the pre-made wooden center-mount slides.  I would need at least two sets, of course.  Any other thoughts on slides or general tips?  Below is what I have for the design so far.

Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
I built a double chest of drawers for my daughter and son-in-law. I used a post and panel design (different from yours, but similar enough) and Blum under mount Blumotion slides. It was the first time I've used Blum slides and I found them relatively easy to install and adjust. The kids love them, and I will probably use them again. Here are some photos:

[Image: 25904504977_73710e9a73_c.jpg]IMG_1302 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

[Image: 40341595571_11beb679b9_c.jpg]IMG_1312 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

[Image: 38531948750_e6437c8e4d_c.jpg]IMG_1629 by Hank Knight, on Flickr
(03-12-2018, 05:03 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: I built a double chest of drawers for my daughter and son-in-law. I used a post and panel design (different from yours, but similar enough) and Blum under mount Blumotion slides. It was the first time I've used Blum slides and I found them relatively easy to install and adjust. The kids love them, and I will probably use them again. Here are some photos:

[Image: 38531948750_e6437c8e4d_c.jpg]IMG_1629 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

Hank - beautiful job on that chest of drawers - love the wood and the size differentials - AND really fits the space!  Congrats - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
You don't lose much space at the back with Blum BluMotion slides, but you do lose quite a bit of vertical space compared to classic drawers or even side mounts.  But they are the cat's meow with respect to how easily and consistently the drawer will operate.  No binding, sagging, or wear, and easy to install compared to fitting traditional drawers.  Once you use them you will wonder why you waited so long.  For a dresser I would use them w/o hesitation.  

John
That's a very nice chest of drawers. Did you have to make the drawer box depth specific to the slides? From what I read, it sounds like you have to make the drawer boxes a specific size in increments of 3".
Ive used the under mount slides from Lee Valley. They list the clearance you need in the catalog. There easy to install.
Don
Beautiful piece Hank!!

lincmercguy-- The wooden undermount slides I've seen are a dovetail type slide. My experience with buying furniture with them is seasonal wood movement & binding until they get worn in a little bit. Metal slides are done & done. I think undermount is better for a dresser too. Especially if the drawers are over loaded & you catch the laundry Lady,, in my case my Wife,, pushing down on its contents to get it to close. JMO
Old fashioned runners and kickers will work just fine.
(03-12-2018, 04:00 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: I think my normal method of a drawer slide "tray" with a flush drawer front and tip-out support won't work.  I think it will bind and not be enough tip-out support for a shallow drawer.
If you're referring to runners and kickers it will work fine.

Just make a some allowance for environment you're building it and where its going.

A little tight in summer/loose in winter.
After doing some more reading, I think I've figured out how much clearance I'll need if I go with the Blum slides.  I ordered a set to work with.  I think I'll go that way, but want to work with a set to see for sure.