Anyone here have a profitable woodworking business?
Sorry to hear that  Had Covid-19 anything to do with the failure?

I know a few fellows (now in their late 60s and mid 70s) who have had a survivable woodworking adventure, able to raise their families. But nothing exciting in terms of income.......more or less like working a day job, but with more stress at times. None of the younger folks I befriended who had aspirations to be a furniture maker went on to become one, because of money reasons.

Simon
Mine has always been my hobby, home improvement, help with and for friends.
Now in retirement, making sawdust is a good day.
Building another cedar raised bed garden box for the wife right now
"Fun thread to dig up.

"3 years later, still profitable, and growing and moved into a commercial space now."

Any Covid sales uptick?
Not profitable but fun to build for the wife
I met a carver from eastern Europe who made $250,000 that year. He was based out of Southern California. That was around 2005. I'd say it was profitable for him. I went to one woodworking show where they had a booth selling franchises for a furniture repair business. One of the guys said some of their store managers make up to $80K/year. I told him I'd have to take a substantial pay cut to work for those wages. He said, "You must be an engineer." Yep.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-26-2021, 05:40 AM)Landore Wrote: My friend did well this year

Spammer.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
As a few others said, I mostly give my stuff I don't make for use at home to friends and family as gifts, or donate to charities for auction items.  But, I try to avoid stuff they will want to toss ... I stick to useable creations. Usually I get the, "You know what I could really use dad?" Hint.

i used th hear "you could make money doing this..." a lot, but I didn't want the hobby that was my stress relief (Important in my career,) to become deadlines and critiques.

Nope, took a few commisions, paid for a tool or supplies.  I knew the buyers and they knew my work.
Haven't sold anything in years.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Yes.

I have a side hustle. I have no desire to replace my day job.

I had originally planned on selling several items, but Pikler triangles are very popular here and very profitable, even with high lumber prices. I use 2×10 and 2x12 lumber. No finish applied; parents want them that way.

At $170 for a triangle and $70-125 for accessory pieces, I make good side money. My goal is 5-7 sales a month and I meet that. If I put more time into it, I could probably sell 15-20 but that's not really feasible with kids.

No, it's not full time, but it's funding home repairs!
Semper fi,
Brad

(04-23-2021, 06:01 PM)Cian Wrote: Holy thread resurrection! 
Smirk

pretty cool to read through it all and see more added.

i once heard:
to make a million in woodworking, start with 2 million.
(04-24-2021, 08:22 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: "Fun thread to dig up.

"3 years later, still profitable, and growing and moved into a commercial space now."

Any Covid sales uptick?

Not from Covid deaths directly, but funny when SOME of the funeral industry quickly realized how relying on China for product is a bad bad idea. I lost track of how many people said their distributor would say "they are on a boat somewhere, and we will get them when they get here". 

Ive had to turn down some new customers because I didnt want to over extend myself and get pinched on lumber availability. But Q1 of this year what my second best quarter ever, and Q2 of this year is my best ever with two weeks left. But it is a balancing act.....I am focusing on existing customers, and new ones I need a guarantee they will be long term, and not just "I cant get product so you are the stop gap" customers.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)