New handles for lathe tools
I made some lathe tools and now I have made the handles. I used ash for three and oak for two. What adhesive would you use to attach them together. Epoxy? Construction adhesive? J B weld? Help me out.

Once I get them together and try them I'll show and tell what I did. That is if they work.
Construction adhesive might be your easiest method and not expensive.   Also should bond very well.
(05-21-2018, 09:49 AM)gear jammer Wrote: I made some lathe tools and now I have made the handles. I used ash for three and oak for two. What adhesive would you use to attach them together. Epoxy? Construction adhesive? J B weld? Help me out.

Once I get them together and try them I'll show and tell what I did. That is if they work.

I've managed to do it with a tight fit and no adhesive.  Doug Thompson recommends a little epoxy if you need it:
http://thompsonlathetools.com/wp-content...andles.pdf
(05-21-2018, 11:54 AM)badwhiskey Wrote: I've managed to do it with a tight fit and no adhesive.  Doug Thompson recommends a little epoxy if you need it:

+1 on not using adhesive. My roughing gouge handle has been going for over 10 years without an issue like that.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
(05-21-2018, 11:54 AM)badwhiskey Wrote: I've managed to do it with a tight fit and no adhesive.  Doug Thompson recommends a little epoxy if you need it:

What Frank said.  If I have to use something I use Epoxy since it can be heated up and the tool removed.

For a tight fit I get it to 1/16 undersized and then put the tool into the handle and then while it is upright tap the butt of the handle on something hard so it will seat the tool tight.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-21-2018, 01:04 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: What Frank said.  If I have to use something I use Epoxy since it can be heated up and the tool removed.

For a tight fit I get it to 1/16 undersized and then put the tool into the handle and then while it is upright tap the butt of the handle on something hard so it will seat the tool tight.

I use JB Weld for almost all my gluing Arlin...It's just a thicker form of epoxy but it has never failed me, so I am sold on it...I have a knife I made about 40yrs ago and the scales are just sandwiched to the steel and epoxied on with no rivets...Still holding fine....if it's worth gluing, it's worth JB Weld, IMO.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I cut off some thick walled copper the right size and roll or taper one end with a die I made, or just leave it the way it is, then press it on the handle. It fits tight but not too tight- I use the press just because hammering it may ding the end up. I then tap the file or chisel in place or press it in.

I made tapered drill bits just for this purpose.  Never have had one come loose yet.

[Image: vnCn1ut.jpg]
[Image: U8hG1GU.jpg]
[Image: p4canJz.jpg]
I also use tight fit, no bonding material and copper plumbing pipe as a ferrule.
I have used copper pipe as a ferrule - also have used PVC.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
I put copper ferrulles on and my first one I split the wood about 3 inches from the ferrule. Drilled the rest out one size over and used JB weld. No problems. I'm gone for the rest of the week and weekend so they have plenty of time to cure.  I'm anxious to try them.

Thanks for the ideas