Matching a finish on a table
I need to strip and refinish the top of this bedside table (one of two).  I am not sure how to match the stain that is in good shape elsewhere on the tables.  Any advice on how to match, and perhaps what kind of topcoat to put on to help prevent damage from water glasses, etc.?
If you meant to include a piix or link with your post, it did not post (at least I can't see it). Generally though, matching an old stain / finish is a matter of trial and error. If you don't have any scrap wood like the original, you may be able to use part of the interior of the piece to try finishes. I have had some luck with this approach, but not very often. Sometimes a contrasting or different finish will work, depending on the style of furniture. I am sure others will stop by with suggestions.

Ed
(09-17-2018, 10:38 AM)Ed in NC Wrote: If you meant to include a piix or link with your post, it did not post (at least I can't see it). Generally though, matching an old stain / finish is a matter of trial and error. If you don't have any scrap wood like the original, you may be able to use part of the interior of the piece to try finishes. I have had some luck with this approach, but not very often. Sometimes a contrasting or different finish will work, depending on the style of furniture. I am sure others will stop by with suggestions.

Ed

yes, a picture might help which I've tried to post to no avail.  Will try again later