Insulating two walls of a bedroom-- spray foam too expensive!
So I'm about to rip up the carpet and refinish the floors in our bedroom (small cape cod style house).  I want to pull down the drywall and get it redone-- current drywall is not in the best shape and there's ZERO insulation in the walls.  Only thing in there is a brown paper, foiled backed paper stapled to the studs, under the drywall.  When I had the living room walls redone, 8 years ago when I moved in, I had the drywall guy put regular r-13 batt insulation in the 2 exterior walls.  I just don't notice that much of a difference between that room and the uninsulated rooms.  I was thinking about doing spray foam-- problem is the job is too small-- I added another wall of another room to the job quote to beef up the job to make it worthwhile for him-- but still between 700 and 1000 dollars.  
This seems a little too much money to spend, when ultimately i'm looking for 2 exterior walls done-- they are 8 ft high, and both about 10 ft wide, windows in both.  

Is there something else that would be better than just shoving rolls of batt insulation in there?  Perhaps cutting styrofoam insulation boards and "great-stuffing" them into the wall cavities?  Some sort of combo of both?  The exterior walls are 2x4.
I don't want to just drill holes and do blown in cellulose as I want to get the drywall redone anyways.

Colin
There are two-part kits for doing the work yourself, have you prices those?
(09-21-2018, 09:48 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: There are two-part kits for doing the work yourself, have you prices those?

I havent-- are they safe?  I was thinking of having a pro do it, as i've heard if you mess this sorta thing up, you can end up sick...etc.

Colin
Perphaps rigid foam panels + aerosol foam for the crevasses.

3½ fiberglass batts gets you a R value of 3 to 3.8

A 2" foam panel will get you R 10.  

The foam panels are scored for easy breaking into widths to fit between studs.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Cornin...085962-_-N

$32.00 for  4 running feet.  Two 12' long walls would require 6 panel or about $180.00 + tax.  Its a lot more than fiberglass but it is a much better insulator.  Use the spray foam around the edges.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(09-21-2018, 11:42 AM)Cooler Wrote: Perphaps rigid foam panels + aerosol foam for the crevasses.

3½ fiberglass batts gets you a R value of 3 to 3.8

A 2" foam panel will get you R 10.  

The foam panels are scored for easy breaking into widths to fit between studs.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Cornin...085962-_-N

$32.00 for  4 running feet.  Two 12' long walls would require 6 panel or about $180.00 + tax.  Its a lot more than fiberglass but it is a much better insulator.  Use the spray foam around the edges.

I thought typical 2x4 batt insulation is R-13?
Lowes link
The video on the home depot page shows the guy installing this, then putting paper backed batt insulation over it??

Colin
(09-21-2018, 11:58 AM)Cdshakes Wrote: I thought typical 2x4 batt insulation is R-13?
Lowes link
The video on the home depot page shows the guy installing this, then putting paper backed batt insulation over it??

Colin
I tried deleting that post.  The site I got the data from seemed to be way off base.  I do think  foam is a better insulator though.

This site gives better information:  https://www.homeconstructionimprovement....on-values/

Depending upon the type of foam, the insulation value for foam is 

Extruded polystyrene foam (XPS) also known as blue board or pink board comes in many different thicknesses and edge profiles. This insulation board is probably one of the most widely used foam board insulation products in the residential construction industry. XPS has an R value of 4.5 to 5.0 per inch of thickness.

Polyisocyanurate also known as polyiso is seen in all kinds of commercial building applications and more recently with residential building projects. Polyiso is typically used with a foil facing and it has an R value of 7.0 to 8.0 per inch of thickness. The reflective foil facing makes it an excellent insulation board when radiant heat is involved. The foil facing also makes it very easy to seal with good quality foil faced tapes.

This 4" thick x 4' x 8' panel has an R26 value and is $99.00 per panel.  About $600.00 for 24 running feet of wall.  Expensive.  

https://www.menards.com/main/building-ma...919893.htm
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(09-21-2018, 10:11 AM)Cdshakes Wrote: I havent-- are they safe?  I was thinking of having a pro do it, as i've heard if you mess this sorta thing up, you can end up sick...etc.

Colin

I wouldn't hesitate to use that if I were wearing a mask rated for chemicals. In fact I considered it when adding a room some years ago but chose not to for other reasons. You can also go with a full suit like the pros use, but I think that's as much about keeping themselves clean as it is not breathing the stuff in.
I would take a hard look at Rock wool insulation
It's very easy to use, bugs don't like it and it really helps with sound proofing
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
You're not going to notice any if much difference between r13 and r20 in the walls. You will, however notice a difference stopping the infiltration. Fix the air leaks and the batting would do fine. Well sealed walls are are most important than the r factor. The attic and windows are a different story. Of course the foam will seal the walls, but I personally wouldn't want gassing foam in my walls and not being able to run/replaced a wire or pipe.. .....
The tighter cellulose gets, the more it stops infiltration and the r factor goes up- it does settle. Just my observations.

You might look for another reason you notice no or little difference.
How is the insulation in the ceiling? That might be an area of concern