Stanley #55 Chest
Really should build a storage box/chest for my #55 as the flea market cardboard box it came in is deteriorating. Luckily, the wood boxes for the cutters are not damaged or missing.

Did the original #55 wood boxes have fitted compartments/dividers for the various parts?  Once saw what was claimed to be an original #55 chest with dividers and the wood boxes for the cutters were on the end(s) the chest? Have also seen chests with the plane assembled and various parts and cutter boxes loose in the box.

Did a Google search and the few pictures that came up did not show the interior very well. Did a search here, but nothing came up concerning the #55 chest/box.

Appreciate any help, ideas, etc.
(12-01-2018, 03:39 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Really should build a storage box/chest for my #55 as the flea market cardboard box it came in is deteriorating. Luckily, the wood boxes for the cutters are not damaged or missing.

Did the original #55 wood boxes have fitted compartments/dividers for the various parts?  Once saw what was claimed to be an original #55 chest with dividers and the wood boxes for the cutters were on the end(s) the chest? Have also seen chests with the plane assembled and various parts and cutter boxes loose in the box.

Did a Google search and the few pictures that came up did not show the interior very well. Did a search here, but nothing came up concerning the #55 chest/box.

Appreciate any help, ideas, etc.
I have an old 55 box. It's just a box. Nothing inside.
I need to make one also, probably for a 45 too. I think I posted here for dimensions etc, a few years ago. I never did get it made, and have lost all the info. Not a big fan of the search feature here.
https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=6664576

google.

works much faster.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Thanks for the hot tip. I guess I need to get going on it before I loose it again.
Ray,

This might help. My grandfather made this box. The 4 cutter boxes slide in.
Kinda cool, the box handle is made from a pine knot, wire and square head bolts..
[Image: VacationWashington121.jpg]

[Image: VacationWashington123.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Snipe Hunter: thanks for the pictures!
(12-04-2018, 10:57 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Snipe Hunter: thanks for the pictures!
No problem. I have a few of my grandfather's tools and the "55" is my most treasured. My Dad inherited in the 60's and Dad gave it to me a couple years ago to make sure it stayed off the antique store shelf. Dad never took it out of the box so the shavings in the bottom were Grandpa's. Dad passed this year. I'm 57 and have a nephew on the west coast who is a woodworker, he's got Dad's/Grandad's Uni-Saw. I suspect I'll pass the "55" and the shavings to him one day but I'll be sure to use it first.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Is the "55" box the same size as the "45"? That would be too easy!
Doubt it....twice as much plane? 

Stanley No. 45 box, Roxton Pond, QUE. Canada 

Plane doesn't quite fit this way...

Have to tear it down...

Has only two rows of cutters...unlike the 55 that needs 4 rows..

Not enough room for 2 fences, and the sliding stock....and then the main stock  with all the other parts,

There was a Stanley box with a sliding lid, that you could sit the plane into, it had the 4 cutter boxes stashed along one side wall...Main stock had enough room to sit on it's skates.

Lid just slid into grooves around the top of the box...like this..

YMMV
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that