Stanley #55 Chest
(12-01-2018, 03:39 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Really should build a storage box/chest for my #55 as the flea market cardboard box it came in is deteriorating. Luckily, the wood boxes for the cutters are not damaged or missing.

Did the original #55 wood boxes have fitted compartments/dividers for the various parts?  Once saw what was claimed to be an original #55 chest with dividers and the wood boxes for the cutters were on the end(s) the chest? Have also seen chests with the plane assembled and various parts and cutter boxes loose in the box.

Did a Google search and the few pictures that came up did not show the interior very well. Did a search here, but nothing came up concerning the #55 chest/box.

Appreciate any help, ideas, etc.

If you haven't already seen it, check out Jim Bode's old posting of a 55; fairly good pics of the box design, you could figure out the dimensions from the size of the stowed tools.   

https://www.jimbodetools.com/products/st...eart-78667
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
If I'm interpreting  Jim Bode's pics correctly, Stanley just jumbled the parts in there loose?  Mine came in a shop built box with no lid.  Someone used it quite a bit, one of the rosewood fences was worn out.
(12-06-2018, 11:00 AM)EricU Wrote: If I'm interpreting  Jim Bode's pics correctly, Stanley just jumbled the parts in there loose?  Mine came in a shop built box with no lid.  Someone used it quite a bit, one of the rosewood fences was worn out.

Pretty much, not dissimilar in approach to my 45 in the original box.  Stanley was in the business of mass marketing and making money, fitted boxes, not so much.  That is why a lot of fudge made their own.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-05-2018, 08:19 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Is the "55" box the same size as the "45"?  That would be too easy!

My 55 came in a box the same size as the 45. I can disassemble everything and stick it in there, even the boxes of blades.