Workbench Improvements
(12-04-2018, 05:10 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Since you got a cabinet under the bench, there's probably not enough clearance for the use of holdfast or hold-down in the center area.

If you are thinking of using holdfasts outside the center section, Gramercy Tools holdfasts are very affordable, about $40 a pair.

Simon

I have 7" from the top of the benchtop to the upper stretchers underneath so a shorter holdfast would work as well as other options.  

John
Fill that mostly unused space in under the top. (5"?) Attach it to the underside of the top, then drill your holes all the way through.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-04-2018, 07:39 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I have 7" from the top of the benchtop to the upper stretchers underneath so a shorter holdfast would work as well as other options.  

John

7" travel, that should work.

I prefer the Gramercy holdfasts which are quicker to clamp and unclamp, and have a stronger grip than hold-downs, but I don't know if a holdfast sawn off to 7" or so can still work in your situation. The experiment would cost you $25 or so if it didn't work out.

Simon
Nice work John! The 2" top will hold a holdfast. My current top is appx 1.25" and holdfasts work in it. You will not be able to use holdfast where the cabinet is due to lack of room. Veritas makes some holddowns that will work though (I think.)
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Gramercy says their holdfast will work in tops 1-3/4" or thicker, so I should have no problem.  With 7" of clearance to the stretchers below, and about 8" to the top of the shelf, there should be no problem even if I have to cut off some of the shank.  

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.  Having never used any of these devices yet, instinct tells me the old style holdfasts like Gramercy makes will suit me best because of it's absolute simplicity.  Instant height adjust, whack to clamp, tap to release; doesn't get much easier.  

John
I use the holdfasts a lot when using the domino joiner for edge joining. Please get a pair as you will often need two for a hold-down task. I have two pairs.

When used with a doe's foot, the holdfast is a powerful workholding accessory.

Simon
(12-04-2018, 11:00 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Gramercy says their holdfast will work in tops 1-3/4" or thicker, so I should have no problem.  With 7" of clearance to the stretchers below, and about 8" to the top of the shelf, there should be no problem even if I have to cut off some of the shank.  

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.  Having never used any of these devices yet, instinct tells me the old style holdfasts like Gramercy makes will suit me best because of it's absolute simplicity.  Instant height adjust, whack to clamp, tap to release; doesn't get much easier.  

John

John,

I have a cabinet under my bench top very much like yours. I designed it to allow for a 10" holdfast shank. It works well; but frequently, jigs and other miscellaneous stuff that collect on top of the cabinet interfere with the holdfasts and I have to shuffle stuff around to move it out of the way. I've found my cabinet top to be pretty useless except fort collecting junk. I hope you find yours works better for you.

I have both the Grammercy holdfasts and the Veritas ones from Lee Valley that tighten with a large brass knob (http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.as...at=1,41637). I use them interchangeably, but I have a slight preference for there Veritas ones. They have a little longer reach and I like the adjustability with the knob. I also bought a set of the shorter shanks for the Veritas and use them when I don't feel like cleaning out the junk collected on top of the cabinet. They work fine and I like the serrations on the Veritas shank, although I don't have any trouble with the Grammercy ones slipping.

Finally, I like your sliding deadman. Nice job. I came up with a simple solution that is not nearly as elegant as yours. It's a single post with a sliding pin that slips into any one of the dog holes on the edge of my bench and rests on then floor. It works great and is easily removed and stored away so it doesn't interfere with the drawers. I'll post a photo of it if I can remember to take one.

My $.02.

Hank
(12-05-2018, 12:41 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I use the holdfasts a lot when using the domino joiner for edge joining. Please get a pair as you will often need two for a hold-down task. I have two pairs.

When used with a doe's foot, the holdfast is a powerful workholding accessory.

Simon

Yes, I'll definitely will get two of whatever I decide on.  OK, I'll admit my ignorance when it comes to traditional woodworking devices:  What's a doe's foot?  

John
One cautionary remark about the turn knob: lf you have wrist issues, you should try it, if possible, before you buy. You must turn the knob hard and tight to achieve a strong grip.

Simon
Thanks Hank.  I did notice the striations on the LV hold downs.  I've seen that feature on some others as well.  One of the strong points of some of the more modern hold downs is that they are designed so the shank never goes much below the bench top; the adjustability is all on the top side.  The down side is they likely take longer for initial adjustment on a workpiece of different thickness than the one before.  Like most everything, you pick what best suits your needs.  Whatever I choose is going to have to work with the shelf and what I store on it.  

I have much the same situation on my other bench, the one I actually more, which is nothing more a 2" maple lab bench that I made dead flat.  I have no vise on that bench and no provisions for clamping beyond hand clamps around the perimeter.  I have often had need for a hold down on that bench, but I have two drawers mounted directly under the bench top so I would definitely need one that works with zero projection under the bench top.  

As this conversation and thought process continues it's becoming clearer that while I like the simplicity of the Grammercy style holdfasts the more modern ones make more sense for my situation.  

Thanks for all your help, everyone.  

John