Workbench lumber question
Question 
My next "me" project is going to be my Roubo workbench.  It'll be a budget build, with borg dimensional lumber.

My question is where to find the clear SYP that I see in all the YouTube videos?  Everything I see at HD or Lowe's is full of knots.  To be honest, I don't care if there are knots in the project; I've never been bothered by them.  I know one concern is that they can rip out when planing the top, but otherwise, are they a problem?

If so, where the heck do I find clear lumber without breaking the bank?
Semper fi,
Brad

I used "old" SYP that I collected over a few months.  I ripped 2x4s, 2x6s, and etc. to about 3" eliminating knots, nail holes and whatever.  Did end up with 3 or 4 small knots, 10 years later no problem.  IMHO if you face glue the boards, hidden knots are not a problem.  Just a guess, if you hold out for clear SYP, you will pay dearly!!!!!!!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Around these parts SYP is more difficult to find. Doug fir, on the other hand, is pretty easy to find and much higher quality than the pine we can get.
Look for 2x10 size boards than you can rip out the center
If you can find a real lumber yard in your area, look through their 2X10s and 2X12s. Sawmills cut these large boards from the heart of the tree to get clear (or as clear as they can get) lumber for stair stringers and such. It will usually be of much better quality than 2X4s, 2x6s or even 2X8s. Sometimes you will find the pithy core of the tree running down the center of these boards; but, as stokes said you can rip out what you need. It won't be kiln dried, so be prepared to deal with wet lumber. You will probably want to let it acclimate to your workshop environment for a while before you use it.
As above, go with wider material and selective rip out the better parts.
Construction grade lumber is kiln dried down to 18%, so I suggest to rip over width , then let it sit for a few months, stickered in your shop environment.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

When I built my bench from borg lumber I would stop by each day after work and dig through the lumber selecting the best pieces. Had enough after a few weeks.
(12-06-2018, 02:34 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: My next "me" project is going to be my Roubo workbench.  It'll be a budget build, with borg dimensional lumber.

My question is where to find the clear SYP that I see in all the YouTube videos?  Everything I see at HD or Lowe's is full of knots.  To be honest, I don't care if there are knots in the project; I've never been bothered by them.  I know one concern is that they can rip out when planing the top, but otherwise, are they a problem?

Any lumberyard/hardwood dealer worth their name should carry (or be able to order it) either that or doug fir that is clear. (im not saying the borgs...they arent lumber yards) My hardwood dealer has lots of clear doug fir up to 16' lengths.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(12-06-2018, 02:34 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: My next "me" project is going to be my Roubo workbench.  It'll be a budget build, with borg dimensional lumber.

http://www.walllumber.com/soft.asp

Has clear SYP up to 8/4 for less than $2.60 bd ft. That’s no so bad. Take a ride........ you’re a lot closer than me. I used to buy from him when I lived in NC.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I bought an oak slab from a small local mill a few years ago. It wasn't kiln dried, and it didn't cost too much. You might look for a mill around there rather than glue together a bunch of boards. According to Chris Schwarz, it's not necessarily that the slab on a Roubo bench be kiln dried.