Any reason to NOT run a 2hp motor on my 14" BS?
I was given a 220V, 2hp, 3ph mirror that fits my Delta BS (56 frame). I already have a phase converter, so that's not an issue.

I do a lot of resawing (with a proper blade, of course). It currently has a 3/4hp motor.

Is there any reason I *shouldn't* use a motor with this rating? I know it's overkill, but free is free, and if it's an upgrade, well, it's free.
Semper fi,
Brad

That is a 14" saw I assume?

If so, there is no reason not to use it.
(12-29-2018, 04:53 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: 3ph mirror

Can you post a pic??
Winkgrin
Winkgrin

Ok. Your new used motor would be a great upgrade.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Oops.

Dang autocorrect on my phone! Yeah, 3ph MOTOR.

Yup, 14" BS.
Semper fi,
Brad

(12-29-2018, 07:02 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Oops.

Dang autocorrect on my phone!  Yeah, 3ph MOTOR.

Yup, 14" BS.

You'll love the extra power if you do much resaw work.  

John
I have a 3hp on a 14 " bs, buts its a laguna suv
if the frame can take it why not.
I have a 3 hp on my old delta 14" saw.  No problem whatsoever.
                    Howard
Assuming the motor is the correct speed, you're good to go.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Should work fine. Bandsaws, drill presses and lathes benefit from the ability to change speeds on the motor that you can get using a VFD. While you have the motor out, check the bearings and refresh them if the motor is going on 20 years old or older. Might want to replace bearings on the wheels as well. I've been using a Rockwell 20" saw for a long time that came with 3 phase and I routinely slow down the speed depending on what I am cutting. Good luck and post some pix, we all like pix.
Here's the mirror, er, uh, motor as it sits. It came off a compressor that died; as far as I know the motor works still. The compressor threw a rod. I'll test it when we get back to Maryland; we're visiting the inlaws in Florida. FIL is an HVAC guy; he runs across these often and sells them for scrap. From now on he'll contact me first to see if I want one he finds for a project. In another thread I mention a 2hp, 1ph motor he's giving me, too.

I assume "permanently lubricated" means sealed bearings, right? I'll be replacing them either way; no reason not to.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad