Another coffee table
Excellent job, as always, Derek. That Jarrah figure and grain is stunning. You've really done it justice. An heirloom piece for sure. I sure hope it ships without damage.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Beautiful, Derek!  And I thank you once again for your willingness to share your methodology in building your projects.  I've learned a few more things I plan on "stealing" and using in upcoming builds.  And that jarrah wood looks a lot like the African Mahogany I've worked with.  I can see why you continue using it - it's gorgeous wood.  

Mahalo!
Earl
Earl, Jarrah is increasingly difficult - and expensive - to access. It only grows in a corner of Western Australia. I get mine from a local urban salvager. It is nothing like Mahogany. Jarrah is hard (like concrete at times) and brittle, and abrasive to tool steel. I have recently built a few pieces in US Hard Maple and Black Walnut, and these are so much easier to work. A joy.

Here are a couple of better photos ...

[Image: 1a.jpg]

[Image: 2a.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Hi Derek,

this is wonderful! Comining design ideas of the 60s with classic handtool techniques and magnficient wood.
Usually I like the techniques or the design. Great pictures, too.

BTW: How does it come you never start writing for a magazin?

Cheers
Pedder
Hi Pedder

Thanks for the kind words.

I have written for magazines in the past. I have articles in The Australian Wood Review as well as Popular Woodworking. I have been featured for my tool making in Fine Woodworking Magazine. I last did a short piece for Pop Wood a year or so ago on request. Basically, I do not have a desire to write in magazines. I am really not knowledgeable enough. I cannot take myself that seriously
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek you make Jarrah look gorgeous! I'll take your word for "silky smooth" but the finish is definitely to ogle and drool over.

One thing that always makes me pause and debate doing is running screws toward the exposed face of wood. You've done it 16 times at the bracing brackets, and with various sizes of brackets, at least, two. Is there a secret procedure to complete this successfully? 

Thanks for sharing this build!

Bruce
Hi Bruce

I would not call it a "secret", but always pre-drill the screw holes. This is especially important with hard woods, such as Jarrah.

Regards from Perth

Derek
(01-20-2019, 11:13 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I have written for magazines in the past. I have articles in The Australian Wood Review as well as Popular Woodworking. I have been featured for my tool making in Fine Woodworking Magazine. I last did a short piece for Pop Wood a year or so ago on request.

Hi Derek, sorry I thought there would be a big party on te fora, if one of the members i published by a magazine. And often these guys stop publishng on their own. So you are different in many aspects.

Thanks for writing, I really enjoy reading you!

Cheers
Pedder