inset cabinet doors optimal gap
I am building a cabinet with inset doors.  Any suggestion on the optimal gap around the door?  I was thinking of using quarters (coins) as spacers.  They measure 0.069" thick--a little thicker than 1/16" which is 0.0625".

Any recommendations?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I usually went with 1/16". I just cut a length of wood and used the pieces as spacers.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-07-2019, 01:34 PM)Cooler Wrote: I am building a cabinet with inset doors.  Any suggestion on the optimal gap around the door?  I was thinking of using quarters (coins) as spacers.  They measure 0.069" thick--a little thicker than 1/16" which is 0.0625".

Any recommendations?

It depends on the door construction and the hinges.  Assuming you are using frame and panel or slab plywood construction it's down to the hinges.  Which ones are you using? 1/16" is not nearly enough with some, plenty with others.

John
This hinge from Rockler.

[Image: 3175TMG10.tif?w=440&h=380&mode=pad&Scale...tpadding=1]
https://www.rockler.com/urn-tip-full-bac...set-hinges

I went to the Amerock site and they don't seem to show the gap.  The gap top and bottom is not an issue.  And the gap caused by the hinge itself is not an issue.  I need to know the gap for the side opposite the hinges.  

I will be applying this latch:
[Image: M1779.jpg]

All this to curb a bad habit I have gotten into.  I tend to always close kitchen cabinets and bathroom medicine cabinets by simply shoving the rail or stile instead of grabbing onto the handle.  I do use the handle to open the cabinets, but not to close them.  With my old oak cabinets this is not much of a  problem.  The new medicine cabinet I am building will be painted white and since the latch requires that I hold onto it to close the door I am hopine that I will now close the cabinet by holding onto the latch.  

If it works, I will let you know.  But for now I just need to know the gap.  The door frame is 3/4" thick.  It will be shaker style.

Except that I will not be using a beveled mirror, it will be a clone of this one from Rejuvenation Hardware:  https://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/palmer

[Image: Z008605_C7952.jpg]
Are you cutting the door oversize and trimming to make it fit your frame? If yes, match the three other gaps to the hinge gap.
(01-07-2019, 03:51 PM)joe1086 Wrote: Are you cutting the door oversize and trimming to make it fit your frame? If yes, match the three other gaps to the hinge gap.

That's what I am doing.  I will make the door an "interference fit" with the frame and then trace the gap onto the door and trim.  

It is a "self mortising" hinge, so the gap will be the thickness of the steel in the hinge.  A tight gap.  

My first try at this.  Wish me luck.
(01-07-2019, 04:51 PM)Cooler Wrote: That's what I am doing.  I will make the door an "interference fit" with the frame and then trace the gap onto the door and trim.  

It is a "self mortising" hinge, so the gap will be the thickness of the steel in the hinge.  A tight gap.  

My first try at this.  Wish me luck.

Yup, self mortising hinge gap; I just found a piece of sheet steel in the shop and put tape on it until I got the size, then shimmed the doors with that on the two bathroom vanities I finished up earlier this year.  Turned out nice.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
There's an excellent step by step article in FWW on how to trim inset doors.  Link If you're not a FWW member I think you can get still get a free trial.

My kitchen had about 30 inset drawers and cabinets and I followed the FWW guide. Worked well.
I watched the FWW video on fitting the doors.  I have that down.  I just wanted to know what the gap should be.  I will post images when I am done.
Hinges will dictate the gap.

I just used those hinges for some inset doors. I found the hinge gap was wider than I anticipated from just looking at those hinges. 

There was also some slop, so I recommend test mount/gap adjustments with door vertical.