Solid core front door
My front door is protected by an 6' x 6' overhang.  It never gets wet.  

I want to replace that door.  It is slightly undersized (height) and would require a custom sized door.  

I can get a solid core slab interior door which I can cut down to size easily for just $77.00.

Can I get away with an interior door in this situation?  I plan on adding a speak easy door and some Mission style embellishments.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-11-2019, 11:32 AM)Cooler Wrote: My front door is protected by an 6' x 6' overhang.  It never gets wet.  

I want to replace that door.  It is slightly undersized (height) and would require a custom sized door.  

I can get a solid core slab interior door which I can cut down to size easily for just $77.00.

Can I get away with an interior door in this situation?  I plan on adding a speak easy door and some Mission style embellishments.

Assuming you can safely cut down the dimensions so as not to compromise the door structure, my concern would be whether you can properly protect the finish and integrity against humidity and temp swings...
Exterior doors are almost always 1-3/4", or more, while interior doors typically are 1-3/8".  So unless you can get a 1-3/4" interior door you will have trouble hanging it in the existing frame.  Of course you could build a new frame.  Another problem with interior doors is the veneer is thinner than used on exterior doors.  That doesn't mean that it won't work, only that it won't be able to take the same level of abuse as one with thicker veneer.  And another, potentially fatal problem would be if the glue used to adhere the veneer to the core is thermoplastic, like TB III, for example.  If your door gets direct sunshine that would be a problem, especially if you paint it a dark color.  

John
I think I will save the old door when I make the replacement.  I can always put the old one back in place.

Thanks for the replies.
(01-11-2019, 02:19 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Exterior doors are almost always 1-3/4", or more, while interior doors typically are 1-3/8".  

Great point...make sure your hardware is adjustable as well...
You'll be disappointed with the look of a thin interior door in a jamb made for an exterior door. Your locksets won't line up with the holes in the jamb and your door will set about 1/4" in from the inside of the frame.

HD and Lowes has exterior wood doors.

$68.00, slab wood exterior door at Lowes. In Stock
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

And unless you get your heat real cheap, interior doors aren’t insulated.
(01-13-2019, 10:22 AM)jasfrank Wrote: And unless you get your heat real cheap, interior doors aren’t insulated.
Niether is my current exterior door.  And it has three small lites and a large side lite that is not insulated either.
(01-14-2019, 08:17 AM)Cooler Wrote: Niether is my current exterior door.  And it has three small lites and a large side lite that is not insulated either.

Might be time to replace all of it with something a little more energy efficient.  

John
(01-14-2019, 09:47 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Might be time to replace all of it with something a little more energy efficient.  

John

The problem is that it is not a full-height door and there is no room to make it a full height door.  So it becomes a very expensive custom door.