Drafting Software
If you can install Oracle VM Virtual Box--on Win 10--you can install an older copy of Windows 7 (maybe XP, great program!) which should run your Auto Sketch. I run an older version of BricsCAD this way. The Virtual machine and second OS does draw memory.

After I retired I bought BricsCAD 12 which was a very comfortable step from Auto Cad of the time. It's far less money (lifetime license), just as good if not better than ACAD. And, no AutoDesk virusware. Don't worry, they are quite compatible dwg-files (both ways).
(01-14-2019, 08:42 PM)hbmcc Wrote: If you can install Oracle VM Virtual Box--on Win 10--you can install an older copy of Windows 7 (maybe XP, great program!) which should run your Auto Sketch. I run an older version of BricsCAD this way. The Virtual machine and second OS does draw memory.

After I retired I bought BricsCAD 12 which was a very comfortable step from Auto Cad of the time. It's far less money (lifetime license), just as good if not better than ACAD. And, no AutoDesk virusware. Don't worry, they are quite compatible dwg-files (both ways).

beat me to it!  VirtualBox runs older operating systems quite well under Win10, and all your XP applications will work as if it were native.. (Parallels on Mac does the same.)  Plus you can keep a "snapshot in time" of your XP machine so if anything ever gets messed up, you just restore the file and you're good to go. You can keep the XP OS off the network too while keeping your Win10 online, for security reasons..
(01-14-2019, 09:34 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Fusion 360 while primarily for 3d work is free, not $500

https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/fusio...-hobbyists

There are some conditions, mostly that you are generating less than $100K/yr income with the product and I believe you have to re-qualify every year.

Thanks Rob I will give this a try hope it opens my old files.  
Smile I was not aware that they had a hobby user, that's all i do is for myself, I'm a disabled and retired so I don't have a lot of extra cash
Professional at making sawdust!!!!
Most of the time you only need one or two orthographic views rather than 3-D isometrics. For example, here is a drawing I made of a table for my log splitter that shows two views and the dimensions required to build it:

This drawing was made using the drawing tools available in either Publisher or MS Word. Here is the final  product:

It's in service today. Not sure what I would do without it.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
Edwin, you're right. Sometimes only a couple of orthogonal views will do it but if the project is more complex than your table it could be that you wind up making views that don't correspond to each other. We had an architect design a house for us and while his elevations all looked great, it turned out that the roof as shown couldn't be built. The front and left elevations were different. I expect it would have been caught when condocs were made but the architect didn't know it until I showed him the 3D model.

.pdf   log splitter table.pdf (Size: 221.13 KB / Downloads: 247)
Big Grin
(01-20-2019, 07:29 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: Edwin, you're right. Sometimes only a couple of orthogonal views will do it but if the project is more complex than your table it could be that you wind up making views that don't correspond to each other. We had an architect design a house for use and while his elevations all looked great, it turned out that the roof as shown couldn't be built. The front and left elevations were different. I expect it would have been caught when condocs were made but the architect didn't know it until I showed him the 3D model.

Big Grin

Wonderful enhancement to my drafting work, no doubt about it. I guess I have a really good imagination or lots of experience working with orthographic drawings that goes back more years than I would like to admit.

Thank, you, Mr. Richards.
Yes

On the other hand, for free "drafting" software, it is rather amazing what can be done with the standard drawing tools that are on board. That's what I wanted to show here. I used to work for hours with paper, pencil, T-square, triangle, compass, slide rule, etc. For large installations, some of my architectural drawings were 30' long on paper scrolls. How times have changed.
Rolleyes
Thumbs Up 
Experience helps.
Wink
(01-14-2019, 09:39 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: You sure AutoSketch won't run?  I'm pretty sure I've run it on Win10.

My BricsCAD went TU after one of the Win10 updates. However, it was somewhat funky after conversion from 7.
(01-20-2019, 08:26 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: Experience helps.
Wink

Yes it does. Here is another project I completed after drafting it with typical drawing tools available free in MS Offiice:

I used this for years with a 28" TV that must have weighed 60 lb. I could pull the heavy TV out of a cabinet and swivel it. It became extinct only after HI-Def flat screens showed up.
(01-23-2019, 09:14 PM)Edwin Hackleman Wrote: I used this for years with a 28" TV that must have weighed 60 lb. I could pull the heavy TV out of a cabinet and swivel it. It became extinct only after HI-Def flat screens showed up.

Do you need a TV for it? I've got one you could have.
Big Grin