Code door locks?
I had electronic kwikset on last house, this house has a couple Schlage with both keypad and Bluetooth and while I like the keypad for me the Bluetooth is just a gimmick. I just don’t use it.

Cost is about $100 for kwikset
About $200 for the Schlage that I have

I’d really rather have mechanical push button but they’re closer to the $400-$500 range and I just can’t justify doing that for 2 shop doors.

Are there any other reasonably priced cypher locks out there?

Duke
(01-22-2019, 10:42 AM)JDuke Wrote: I had electronic kwikset on last house, this house has a couple Schlage with both keypad and Bluetooth and while I like the keypad for me the Bluetooth is just a gimmick. I just don’t use it.

Cost is about $100 for kwikset
About $200 for the Schlage that I have

I’d really rather have mechanical push button but they’re closer to the $400-$500 range and I just can’t justify doing that for 2 shop doors.

Are there any other reasonably priced cypher locks out there?

Duke

Schlage Camelot are very solid. I had them on my old house and I have them on my new house.

The simple design (not Z-Wave) is only around $100 and does not have a motor-driven deadbolt. I had a Kwikset and I did not like it at all since the motor-driven deadbolt was particularly weak and things like seasonal changes in humidity would cause it to struggle to close. Also, the batteries didn't last very long.

The Schlage Camelot has a thumb turn deadbolt from the outside along with a keyed option, and it is simple to rekey a bunch to the same design. I did this with the three I used (mine are Z-Wave, but I haven't configured this yet).
(01-22-2019, 12:02 PM)FS7 Wrote: Schlage Camelot are very solid. I had them on my old house and I have them on my new house.

The simple design (not Z-Wave) is only around $100 and does not have a motor-driven deadbolt. I had a Kwikset and I did not like it at all since the motor-driven deadbolt was particularly weak and things like seasonal changes in humidity would cause it to struggle to close. Also, the batteries didn't last very long.

The Schlage Camelot has a thumb turn deadbolt from the outside along with a keyed option, and it is simple to rekey a bunch to the same design. I did this with the three I used (mine are Z-Wave, but I haven't configured this yet).

I have the Schlage camelot and I like them. Had them for a few years now, and they seem to hold up well and are for the most part reliable. Ditto what the other poster said about the mechanical system on the Schlage plus you could have them keyed the same as the other Schlage locks in your house. Last I checked, they are closer to $100 than $200.
I bought a Schlage keyed lever lock, it was only $130 it doesn’t have the WiFi but it will work for what I need.
Camelot is both traditional and keypad line.  How do the electronic locks work without a motor?
They still have a motor, but it’s all in how much you need the motor to do

On kwikset deadbolts, the motor actually pushes or pulls the deadbolt

Whereas on the Schlage lever handle latches the motor only moves a stop out of the way so you can turn the handle.

The Schlage i have on the house are a touchpad product that has both Bluetooth and WiFi.
Two of them were there when I bought the house, I learned enough about them to be able to reset them so old owner no longer had access, and to set them up Bluetooth so I can ask Siri to unlock the door if I’m in Bluetooth range, I haven’t bothered to set them up for WiFi since I don’t see any benefit to doing this.

They also are about $200 and I see no reason to spend that to lock the shop since I don’t need all those features.

Duke
I'd like to get one for the front door.  The lever is wearing out and my daughter locks me out occasionally.  Those occasions usually correspond to when it's too cold for the remote entry on the garage door to work.
(02-02-2019, 12:11 PM)EricU Wrote: Camelot is both traditional and keypad line.  How do the electronic locks work without a motor?

As mentioned, the Kwikset (and probably others) have the motor directly drive the deadbolt. Having disassembled the Schlage, it has only a small spring mechanism that engages or disengages the ability to manually turn the bolt.

I have the Z-Wave type now, though I have never used them. I would imagine using this feature would have the same issues as the Kwikset since the motor needs to drive the deadbolt. This is why I prefer the manual myself.
I have 3 of the schlage leversets that have been installed and in use every day for over ten years, fully exposed to the weather as there's no storm door on those doors. Other than changing out 3 or 4 batteries over their lifetime, they've never had a problem. I also have the Schlage electronic deadbolt on my shop. At some point, must have had something on my finger when using the buttons, the numbers have faded a bit on that one. It's been in place for about 6 years.
something about having to pay to unlock my front door just doesn't appeal, as well as the idea of the lock manufacturer trying to sell my lock data to someone.  Which you know is going to happen.  So the manual ones look like a better plan for us.  Thanks for the link.