Storing Large Mahogany Boards
18' lengths, and being at a marina, tells me they were for a boat repair, or build.
Boats need long lengths
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

First nice find.

What is your ceiling? If exposed joists, how about hanging them from the ceiling next to a wall. Several 2 x 4's vertical nailed or screwed to the joists. Then screw a horizontal 2 x 4 to the vertical 2 x 4s. I think they should be supported every 4 - 6 feet and stickered in between stacks.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Thanks for all the responses so far!

They may have originally been for boat repair, but the previous owner seemed to have planned on doing more traditional woodworking. The marina they were at wasn't a boatyard type of marina either.

I have considered cutting the long boards down, but since they're so clear, that seems wasteful. In my mind at least some will go towards a campaign chest with wrapped grain, and that needs about 12ft of continuous grain (even though it does get cut down eventually).

I have looked at the harbor freight carport. My concern is that with the level of structure there seem to be a lot of complaints about them wearing through the tarps in a season or collapsing in a windstorm. I live high up on the side of a hill, so both are a concern. That carport is also a foot or more too short. And in wet Seattle, I'd be concerned about the moisture coming up from the ground. I have water seeping out of my gravel driveway all year long (and it's not a leaking pipe!). I think the wood would be fine (it lasted under carefully worked tarps for a decade) but think the moisture content would stay too high to use it. As wide and thin as it is, it is prone to warp just bringing it into my shop from outside.

Also thought about the ceiling method. The longer stack may end there, but the short stack (which is much taller) is awfully heavy, and my garage trusses pretty lightweight. And I JUST installed insulation and a painted plywood ceiling. Also, the length of the boards (only a few feet shorter than the garage) make it difficult to get them up there if i used U-shaped racks. I would have to either use verticals down to the floor or maybe floor based verticals until the wood was up, then install hanging supports to the ceiling, then remove the floor supports. Then I start thinking about a shed again!
If the wood is well air dried it can safely be flat stacked. I'd bust the 16' boards down to 8ft and stack them anyplace inside that I could find.

But then I'm still trying to fit my cypress / cedar /  Ironwood / Rimu + misc into 2 regular size garages. 
Rolleyes

Guy wanted to buy an ~18" live edge slab .Yeah I got a couple, in there someplace. 

Need to start building stuff, and stop hoarding wood. 
Smirk
Your dilemma sounds very familiar.  I had a shop full of wood and no room to move.  After exploring every alternative, I finally decided I really need to build a shed.  Storage problem solved.  I needed a permit but it wasn't a problem.  The only downside is that all my nice dry stock is no longer as dry.  The wood in my shop runs 6 - 9% MC depending upon the time of year.  In any unconditioned building it goes back up to the EMC of my area, around 12%, so I have to plan ahead and bring wood into my shop several weeks in advance to let it acclimate before using it.  In you case, the wood is already running at the EMC of your area, likely even higher than 12%, so putting it in a shed won't change it, but you'll still have to deal with letting it acclimate to your shop before using it.  No way around that.  

John
I bought one of the 12x20 Amish buildings that are common around here, we used it to store equipment for the veteran's charity.  We paid for the building out of pocket, since it would be located on our property.  We didnt use any of the charity funds. This way, when it came time to pass on the reins of the charity, we had no qualms repurposing the building once the charity gear was relocated.  It now contains wood storage.  Plenty of room. The cost of the building compared to buying all the materials and spending a week building it? Shocking how easy the decision was.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(02-11-2019, 03:54 AM)ianab Wrote: If the wood is well air dried it can safely be flat stacked. I'd bust the 16' boards down to 8ft and stack them anyplace inside that I could find.
ive  stored lumber under my bed before. surprised how much i was able to get under there.
(02-10-2019, 02:09 PM)CharlesinSEA Wrote: My options now:
- Sell some or all of it off (unlikely, i now have an emotional connection to it that falls just behind my dog, and only a couple steps behind my wife)
- Leave it where it is and deal.
- Build a second (longer) shed. Would need permits etc and would take a while.
- Buy a shipping container. (No good place to put it, and theyre ugly)
- Buy a tarped carport. These range from cheap and likely not to last through a snow to expensive and getting close to a real shed.
- Build a lean-to style wood shed. Living in wet washington this worries me, but the wood was outside (tasked) for a decade and no worse for the wear.
- Store it under an existing deck, which is covered by a roof.
- Store it in my crawlspace (hard to access... Pretty dry. But still a crawlspace).

Will post some photos of the wood in a follow up.
Thanks!
-Charles

Do what I highlighted seems like what is best and then bring each piece in a few weeks before using it to get it dried and used to the environment.

Just asking for me and the vets

If you do not need all of the 12/4 we sure could use some of it if the cost were in range.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.