Latex paint over shellac
I want to paint raw wood with latex paint. Can I use regular shellac as a sealer or must I use dewaxed shellac?
The safe bet is to use dewaxed. In today's market "latex" paint can mean a lot of different things....but it's almost certainly to be a water based paint....so the dewaxed will give you some comfort.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Since it is to be painted, you might want to use Zinser BIN shellac based primer.
(02-27-2019, 10:15 AM)rschissler Wrote: Since it is to be painted, you might want to use Zinser BIN shellac based primer.

+1.  You'll get a smoother substrate and need fewer coats of paint if you use the BIN pigmented shellac based primer first.  

John
(02-27-2019, 01:09 PM)jteneyck Wrote: +1.  You'll get a smoother substrate and need fewer coats of paint if you use the BIN pigmented shellac based primer first.  

John

Thank you all for your advice.
I recently had an issue spraying acrylic (PPG's Breakthrough) over Sealcoat.  It turns out that I have to wait 24 hours to coat over the shellac to make sure 100% of the alcohol has evaporated.  

For other finishes, I can coat over Sealcoat and BIN primer in just one hour.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-28-2019, 08:30 AM)Cooler Wrote: I recently had an issue spraying acrylic (PPG's Breakthrough) over Sealcoat.  It turns out that I have to wait 24 hours to coat over the shellac to make sure 100% of the alcohol has evaporated.  

For other finishes, I can coat over Sealcoat and BIN primer in just one hour.

This is why it's a good thing to stick with one manufacturer for all the products needed for the job - stain, sealer, topcoat, etc.  And when you decide to go rogue, as I often do, it's critical to do tests to confirm everything works together.  I once thought of putting EnduroVar over GF's PreCat lacquer to improve the chemical durability.  Testing showed that would have been a really bad idea; it peeled off with my fingernail.    

John
(02-28-2019, 10:31 AM)jteneyck Wrote: This is why it's a good thing to stick with one manufacturer for all the products needed for the job - stain, sealer, topcoat, etc.  And when you decide to go rogue, as I often do, it's critical to do tests to confirm everything works together.  I once thought of putting EnduroVar over GF's PreCat lacquer to improve the chemical durability.  Testing showed that would have been a really bad idea; it peeled off with my fingernail.    

John
I always considered shellac (and pigmented shellac) to be a universal primer.  And it is, if I wait long enough for the shellac to outgas.  

I've had my primer tinted to a color matching the final color.  Not so important nowadays, but it saved one coat of color back then.  Nowadays the one-coat coverage is much better (but I always put down two coats anyhow).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.