Cutech jointer
Looking for portable jointer.....cutech looks good...they offer hss or carbide. Pros n cons of the two types of cutters?
I'd be nervous about product support and parts availability going forward. Cutech came out of nowhere, and may disappear just as quickly.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(02-27-2019, 01:48 PM)Bill Mains Wrote: Looking for portable jointer.....cutech looks good...they offer hss or carbide. Pros n cons of the two types of cutters?

Just bought the 8" model w/hss inserts.  This machine does a great job.  It is relatively quiet, with plenty of power.  Easy to operate.  I have no reason to think the company will have problems with sales/service.  They have many years of experience with multiple brands of jointers and planers, and their current suppliers are major players in producing these machines for resale both inside and outside the US.  Why do the doubters jump on Cutech?  Just because the brand is not known to them...I would put my jointer up against any of the other brands dollar for dollar, feature for feature.
(02-27-2019, 07:03 PM)Bedrox4me Wrote: Just bought the 8" model w/hss inserts.  This machine does a great job.  It is relatively quiet, with plenty of power.  Easy to operate.  I have no reason to think the company will have problems with sales/service.  They have many years of experience with multiple brands of jointers and planers, and their current suppliers are major players in producing these machines for resale both inside and outside the US.  Why do the doubters jump on Cutech?  Just because the brand is not known to them...I would put my jointer up against any of the other brands dollar for dollar, feature for feature.

Just curious  why did you purchase HSS insert instead of Carbide?
(02-28-2019, 09:04 AM)Jack01 Wrote: Just curious  why did you purchase HSS insert instead of Carbide?

HSS works fine for the woods I use, such as walnut and cherry.  I suppose the carbide inserts would handle tougher species such as jarrah and purpleheart.
(02-27-2019, 07:03 PM)Bedrox4me Wrote:   I have no reason to think the company will have problems with sales/service.  They have many years of experience with multiple brands of jointers and planers, and their current suppliers are major players in producing these machines for resale both inside and outside the US.  

Glad you're happy with your choice, but Cutech began in 2015 and is not a big player with deep resources, other than a supply chain in asia that is as strong as its weakest link.  That was my only concern, not one of performance, but of long term value.  YMMV

Here's the background of the owner:  http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/cutech...kid-block/
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(02-28-2019, 10:27 AM)Admiral Wrote: Glad you're happy with your choice, but Cutech began in 2015 and is not a big player with deep resources, other than a supply chain in asia that is as strong as its weakest link.  That was my only concern, not one of performance, but of long term value.  YMMV

Here's the background of the principle owner:  http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/cutech...kid-block/

Don't disagree w/ your perspective, but I'm surprised to see they're offering an 8" portable jointer.

I have a Porter Cable 6" portable jointer that clearly comes from the same factory, and I'm actually quite happy with it, it serves my purposes.

But that 8" would serve my purposes slightly better.

It wasn't available when I got the Porter Cable, otherwise I'd have gotten a Cutech.
Did some digging on Cutech

Their tips are only 2 sided, industry standard is 4 sided
Why 2 sided?

Also are their tips standard ?  means can you replace with other available tips  . There are lot of options available in open marker. such as Shelix replacement tips.
If so it will be great.  in case Cutech closes door you can still get replacement tips, if not if the close door you will have a scrap piece of tool sitting in shop.
(02-28-2019, 10:58 AM)Jack01 Wrote: Did some digging on Cutech

Their tips are only 2 sided, industry standard is 4 sided
Why 2 sided?

Also are their tips standard ?  means can you replace with other available tips  . There are lot of options available in open marker. such as Shelix replacement tips.
If so it will be great.  in case Cutech closes door you can still get replacement tips, if not if the close door you will have a scrap piece of tool sitting in shop.

That is one of the things that kept me away, when I went with my PC jointer with knives.

Had they been using a standard 4-sided insert, I'd likely have the 6" version (and still wanting the 8").
Does the Cutech have rabbiting capacity?

I don't have a jointer but I've wanted one, probably a benchtop model.
Those prices are right and having replacement tips rather than blades is very attractive, especially carbide tips.
Peter

My "day job"