Transtint-in water or alcohol?
This project is for a curly maple table top. Wondering if there is an appearence difference between the two?
Thanks!
(03-05-2019, 02:02 PM)Woodtourer Wrote: This project is for a curly maple table top. Wondering if there is an appearence difference between the two?
Thanks!

I once convinced myself that the color is "better" if I use water.  Better means more pronounced grain enhancement.  

I am sure the penetration is deeper with water if you spray it on.  

John
(03-05-2019, 04:03 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I once convinced myself that the color is "better" if I use water.  Better means more pronounced grain enhancement.  

I am sure the penetration is deeper with water if you spray it on.  

John

I have done it both ways (water and alcoho)l and both work very well.  One watch out - if you use water you have to be more careful to not dissolve the color when you put your shellac or whatever topcoat you plan to use.  For this reason, I use alcohol if I can.
(03-08-2019, 12:00 PM)fptahoe Wrote: I have done it both ways (water and alcoho)l and both work very well.  One watch out - if you use water you have to be more careful to not dissolve the color when you put your shellac or whatever topcoat you plan to use.  For this reason, I use alcohol if I can.

Shellac is alcohol based and will lift Transtint if you brush it on, whether you used alcohol or water to dilute it.  Same with WB topcoats, but if your topcoat is oil based then no problem at all because Transtint is not soluble in mineral spirits.  

John
I’ve used water, DNA, and lacquer thinner. I will do everything I can to avoid raising grain so I use DNA most of the time but I also spray TT. I used water on kitchen cabinets because of the greater surface area and slightly longer open time that water lends when applying by hand. Lap marks were much more difficult to avoid when applying by hand with a solvent. Spraying often produces more consistent results in splotch probed woods as long as your careful not to “pool” any of your finish. Spraying solvent based TT is quite easy if sneek up on your color with at least 2 coats mixed to a weaker color solution. I rarely color wood with anything else if it’s something I really care about.