Fabric air duct?
Sort of a power tool question as it will end up being an air cleaner.

I have a couple hvac fans and I’d like to build filter boxes and have the output dispersed through my 30x60 shop.

Conventional duct would work, but I’ve seen flexible fabric duct in commercial environments and think it would be an excellent option for this.

Has anyone seen a cost effective source for fabric HVAC duct?

Duke
I made mine using furnace filters.  They come in standard sizes and all different particulate levels and are available everywhere (fairly cheap).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I’m talking about the flexible fabric duct for the output side to disperse the air around the shop.
(03-11-2019, 09:24 AM)JDuke Wrote: I’m talking about the flexible fabric duct for the output side to disperse the air around the shop.

"Flex" duct is fine. You don't need the insulation/vapor barrier around the inner core- just the plastic coiled inner piece. I have such duct in my shop from the homemade air conditioner and plenum.
(03-11-2019, 07:35 AM)JDuke Wrote: Sort of a power tool question as it will end up being an air cleaner.

I have a couple hvac fans and I’d like to build filter boxes and have the output dispersed through my 30x60 shop.

Conventional duct would work, but I’ve seen flexible fabric duct in commercial environments and think it would be an excellent option for this.

Duke

When I was in Saudi with the USAF, we lived in a tent city.  It was blazing hot.  We had package air conditioning units which ducted air into the tents.  the main plenum was a long cloth "bag" /duct  that hung down the middle of the tent.  It had velcro vents that you could open or close on it.  The duct hung limp until the unit turned on.  That duct would fill up and then "pop" when it hit max capacity as it inflated and the air hit the end of the duct.  It worked fine.  It was a heavy material.  The main plenum was 15-18" in diameter.
We had triple wall tents.  It kept them pretty cool.  The cots, however, were a different story.
RP
Hi, Duke

I use the system you're asking about in my shop. It's made by DuctSox and works quite well. I don't have the ability to open or close vents, but it was designed so that I wouldn't have to...

[Image: L5IaJGc.jpg]

[Image: povyy1q.jpg]

What I find quite handy about it is that by hanging flat when the air shuts off it doesn't collect any dust.

I should add that I copied this from Just_Dave's shop. He works in the HVAC field, so he had a connection. As for cost effectiveness, I can't really say other that the installation was a snap. Took Dave & I less than an hour to run the suspension cable and install the duct. Of course, I already had the metal ducting in place prior to receiving the cloth....

It's worked out pretty well for both of us...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
RP,

Tent cities are where I first saw fabric duct as well.

Dave,

The duct Sox brand comes up on searches but looks pretty expensive for what it is.

I’m hoping there’s a better source than the ones I found online.

One was $800 for a single 16”x 20 foot trunk

Duke
We used to call it balloon duct. We used the Polythene type in greenhouses. 100 bucks for 500ft- depending on the diameter.
The pre-holed stuff cost a little more.

Never used the fabric type.
I used flex duct for the outflow of my cyclone.  It outflows through the window.

Insulated flex, though it doesn't need to be, but very cheap.

Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(03-11-2019, 07:35 AM)JDuke Wrote: Sort of a power tool question as it will end up being an air cleaner.

Duke

There was some material in the Air Force that looked like canvas but had a very thin rubber coating on both sides.  I wish I could remember what it was because that would help you out.  Maybe google it and it might come up.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.