How to remove a lacquer finish?
I have a table I sprayed with lacquer a number of years ago. The top is maple. But it is in need of refinishing.
What is the preferred method of removing the finish? Wipe with lacquer thinner and steel wool or go right to stripper?
Thanks!
My preference is stripper.  It takes uncatalyzed lacquer off about as fast as you can brush it on.  I've always preferred KleanStrip Premium because it contained methylene chloride.  But I think it's now been banned so I'm not sure what I'll use next time I need to strip a finish off.  

John
Let the alcohol or thinner work for 5 to 10 seconds, and then wipe it off with a rough cloth or with steel wool. If the finish comes off easily, you can remove the entire finish with the alcohol or thinner; paint and varnish remover isn't necessary. Work quickly -- alcohol and lacquer thinner evaporate fast.
By:- rent a car
Stripper would be my first choice, the good stuff with methylene chloride. But I might try using a card scraper first and see if it works; if it does, it will save you from the fumes.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
My first step would be to use acetone to remove any wax.  The wax will interfer with any other solvents.  Then I would do as umairaslam suggests, try alcohol (or lacquer thinner).  

I believe that the wax will interfere with the ability of the alcohol (or lacquer thinner) to soften the finish.  So I would be thorough with the acetone first.  

With any solvent, test in an inconspicuous spot first. 
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Yesterday I stripped the top. Started using lacquer thinner and steel wool. Work ok. But then I just sanded it off. Went very quickly.