Viscosity Cup Size
I spent a while last night trying to get some sizes for a viscosity cup. Surprisingly, I couldn't find anything definitive. Can someone tell me what the capacity is of a #4 Ford cup and what size the hole is? One statement I found said that it should be 100ml with a hole of 4mm but that doesn't look right compared to pictures I find. Also, it said that 100ml of water should be drained in 10 sec. I did a crude test using a paper cup and it drained 100ml in about 1/2 that time.
(04-19-2019, 11:34 AM)Willyou Wrote: I spent a while last night trying to get some sizes for a viscosity cup. Surprisingly, I couldn't find anything definitive. Can someone tell me what the capacity is of a #4 Ford cup and what size the hole is? One statement I found said that it should be 100ml with a hole of 4mm but that doesn't look right compared to pictures I find. Also, it said that 100ml of water should be drained in 10 sec. I did a crude test using a paper cup and it  drained 100ml in about 1/2 that time.

I have one.  I never measured it.  It looks like about 2 - 3 ounces.  I will measure it when I get home.  All I know for sure is that that #4 refers to the size of the orifice in mm.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-19-2019, 11:34 AM)Willyou Wrote: I spent a while last night trying to get some sizes for a viscosity cup. Surprisingly, I couldn't find anything definitive. Can someone tell me what the capacity is of a #4 Ford cup and what size the hole is? One statement I found said that it should be 100ml with a hole of 4mm but that doesn't look right compared to pictures I find. Also, it said that 100ml of water should be drained in 10 sec. I did a crude test using a paper cup and it  drained 100ml in about 1/2 that time.

Fun read : https://gardco.com/pages/viscosity/vi/ford_history.cfm
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin