Lesson in repeating cuts
With 12 repeat cuts to make, 4 a little shorter than the other 8-
“Cut the longer ones first” I thought.
Then, ignoring that, I proceeded to set up for an cut the shorter ones first...
Need I say more?
(sigh)
Ray

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
We've all been there. We all hated it. We'll all do it again.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Sounds like a good opportunity for build redesign ... :-) :-)

Simon
Slightly. Fortunately I cut only one of the longer boards before I realized my miztake.
But I happen to have no more of the 1/2 Baltic birch plywood, so I was lamenting having to get more or mix in some 1/2 oak plywood into the project.
So then I made the op above.

But then I realized that the shorter pieces are only 1/2” shorter. So I went and cut a second one of the longer pieces the same and I will just do a butt joint of the 1/2 ply on the back end of the drawer so it’s going to be okay.
Whew
Ray
I have thought about this.
I believe I subconsciously learned to work too fast by watching Norm zoom through a project on the NYW.
I truly think that for all he taught me to do well, I thought I could get it all done in 26 minutes. Subconsciously.
An avenue for error.
Aging does not help either.

This is one reason why hand tool woodworking now appeals to me so much. I am in no rush to do anything, rather I want to enjoy the work more than any end result. I tell myself this.
When rough cutting lumber to size for the tables I made for our church, I used the lumber for the legs but measured the template for the upright pieces which was a shorter length than base legs.

Set my miter saw with stops and went to town. Realized at about cut 14 that I had the wrong length.

Some budding young future woodworkers were really happy with that mistake. Good thing I bought extra wood.

All in, I pretty much make at least one mistake on all my projects. ?
(04-21-2019, 03:55 PM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: All in, I pretty much make at least one mistake on all my projects.  ?

Only one mistake? Your average is pretty good, lol. Seriously, I don't think anyone on this forum hasn't measured twice and still cut it too short. I know I have.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Been there.  My latest is I made a cabinet for the shop and was making the pulls.   I wanted them all the same size of course.  So I cut them and one of them I grabbed the cutoff instead.  So now I have a cabinet with 3 at one size and one longer.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(04-20-2019, 05:48 PM)AgGEM Wrote: ...I believe I subconsciously learned to work too fast by watching Norm zoom through a project on the NYW.
I truly think that for all he taught me to do well, I thought I could get it all done in 26 minutes. Subconsciously..... 

I had Klaus' video on cutting dovetails and he simply zoomed through the task. My take away was that I therefore did not need to slow down and be precise at each and every step. 

Slowing down is a lesson I have learned multiple times in the shop. My productivity ain't great but quality is coming up.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure