Hybrid Woodworking?
Takes two kind of saws..
Winkgrin 

Although, I don't think  wet, Treated Pine is the right place to use a Disston  D-115..
Rolleyes 

This "Sharktooth " saw is better suited....

Brought out the "other" workbench.....
Cool 

to help hold joists and 4 x 4 post still, while I cut them to size..

Enlarging the front porch a bit, and with better, knee friendly steps...
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
You need a reciprocating/saber/sawzall saw, then you can get rid of that nasty hand saw.
Big Grin
(04-26-2019, 10:25 AM)knockknock Wrote: You need a reciprocating/saber/sawzall saw, then you can get rid of that nasty hand saw.
Big Grin
Got one..a blue one..
Rolleyes 

needed a better blade, though..
Winkgrin 

had 4 x 4s to cut to a level line...
Cool

While dodging raindrops...
Upset
Details, just details...
Rolleyes

Mitered corners, front and back..
Cool

Top rails done, back corner where the railing meets the house,,
Winkgrin

Worked around the downspout.   Bottom rail has 6" Structural Wood Screws, that reach down through the decking, and into the joist below.  Front is done..
Cool

Which leaves the handrails for the steps....for tomorrow...weather permitting..may need my bevel gauge, to set the angle cuts for the handrails...
Cool 

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Well, lets see, sun came out today...rain is gone fro a while....have the railing for the steps to do....had to set up a mitersaw stand in the front yard..
Rolleyes

You were expecting something with a motor?
Confused   This is the cordless kind.

needed to find out the angles for the railings...
Cool

Brand new level laid on the steps....huge bevel gauge to find the angle..blade set to plumb, body set to the level itself...19 degrees...whichs sets up as 71 degrees on the mitre box scale
Cool

90 degrees - 19 degrees = 71 degrees.   2 x 4 was cut at both ends.   Clamped so it didn't move, as there isn't a way to lock the swing arm at this angle...

Installed the 2 x 4  in place...set a concrete paver down where the 4 x 4 front post will go....mark the cut lines on the  4 x 4 to match the height of the 2 x 4 rail...cut with the circular saw, this time...installed,  plumbed, with a pair of those 6" screws,   then start adding spindles...
Cool

Tops were also cut @ 19 degrees...was making a lot of sawdust..
Winkgrin 

Used a 5/4 x 6 as a cap rail...and got the remaining 4 x 4 ready..

Rather than have a flat topped post sticking up in the air, made a beveled top....post is taller than the railings, as house numbers will be installed on it..

Boss wanted deck lights installed, too..

Need to clean up the mitresaw...
Rolleyes

Was a busy afternoon...
Cool
Looking good. I, too, bring out a few hand tools every time I do a home improvement project. I even keep a couple beater chisels and handsaws around for just such occasions.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Nice job, but I don't see a building permit posted anywhere..... :-)
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-29-2019, 08:20 AM)Admiral Wrote: Nice job, but I don't see a building permit posted anywhere.....  :-)

Unless codes have changed, not needed for 18" or less deck height. 

He has me scratching my head about no pressure treated wood, even though mentioned at first. I can't even get the "new standard P.T." to last 20 years, let alone tolerate the code's stupidity of carving into treated wood.

Dang! For an old fart, Steve can zip through a heavy build really fast! Bet he has all the neighborhood kids helping for hotdogs and ice cream wages. BTW, no better way to pass on the skills.
Looks very good. Certainly with the handicap of that handsaw. Very nice. On one of those woodworking you tube channels, when the guy had a contractor put in a small landing and stairs, I wrote him off. If you can't do sawhorses and stairs, you are pretty poor carpenter.
A man of foolish pursuits
Permit is for anything over a 10' x 10' area....

So, Punchlist is about complete..just lumber to clear away off the lawn.   Uncles were also carpenters by trade....may have learned a few things, was also a Carpenter by trade for a while..
Grand tour?

what you will see, walking in from the sidewalk out by the street..IF you park in the alley beside the house...

This is what you will see, 

This is the main reason for this project, to enable the Boss to get her bad knees up onto the porch...view of the back corner?

She also found a porch glider to sit on the deck.   Cushions are inside the house, staying dry, for now...when  you head out the front door, this is the view..

We took a few un-opened screws, and a few hangers we didn't use back to the store....and got over $90 in refunds...

Thanks for following along....not too bad, for an old Carpenter?