Embroidery frame build (Final project pic)
(05-02-2019, 11:14 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Yeah, the lobed knobs are on order, will pick them up tomorrow. Finding those ribbed washers is proving to be elusive, at least in the sizes I need. 

What sizes do you need? Amazon seems like they have a decent selection of different sizes.
Washers are probably not necessary.  Just do not apply any finish on the bearing areas.  The wood will probably have a high enough coefficient of friction to  clamp tightly.

Here is a list of  coefficients of friction.  Oak to oak is pretty good.  I don't know what species of wood you are using however.

http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/...cients.htm
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.

Locking knobs installed. The maple is too smooth to hold with just one knob on one side. I am going to try all thread and knobs on both sides. I tried the sand paper between the pieces, not much help.
(05-06-2019, 05:37 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Locking knobs installed. The maple is too smooth to hold with just one knob on one side. I am going to try all thread and knobs on both sides. I tried the sand paper between the pieces, not much help.

Try folding a piece of sandpaper in half or glue two pieces together so it has grit outside on both pieces.  Or the screen type paper.
Roly
Cool project! You might try leather or rubber washers if the other suggestions don't work.
Surely you've got a machine supply up there close by for washers..........
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Like metal to like metal tend to have a high coefficient of friction with aluminum against aluminum having the highest coefficient of friction.

https://www.engineersedge.com/coeffients...iction.htm

Lowes and Home Depot sell aluminum washers.  You would have to figure out a way to fasten them to the wood without the fasteners damaging the other surfaces.  Perhaps aluminum counter sunk screws.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware-Fas...ckZ1z115lq

The easiest way I can think of is to mount an aluminum plate on  each of the mating surfaces and put in an aluminum washer as a spacer between the plates so that the fasteners will not rub against each other.

The coefficient of friction for aluminum to aluminum is 1.1 to 1.35 (higher number, more friction).  And that is more friction than rubber to rubber.

The coefficient of oak to oak is .61

So I think aluminum is the answer.  How to use it is a question you will have to figure out.
    Upper brace with double knobs. I put a coat of Sherwin Williams Wood Finish(oil based varnish) and the adjustable pieces now are rock solid.

LOML bought a 27" oval quilt embroidery hoop, which is way too big for her to hold and too big for just one holding clamp, so I added a lower clamp mounting arm. It is adjustable by length as well as  up/down(the slide slot is in the end of the fixed piece).

I ordered clamps, which should be here Friday. That jacked up the cost by $20, but they will hold better and be easier to use than my home made design.
(05-10-2019, 12:06 AM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Upper brace with double knobs. I put a coat of Sherwin Williams Wood Finish(oil based varnish) and the adjustable pieces now are rock solid.

LOML bought a 27" oval quilt embroidery hoop, which is way too big for her to hold and too big for just one holding clamp, so I added a lower clamp mounting arm. It is adjustable by length as well as  up/down(the slide slot is in the end of the fixed piece).

I ordered clamps, which should be here Friday. That jacked up the cost by $20, but they will hold better and be easier to use than my home made design.

Now she is going to say to you, "Where's the magnifier holder?"
Big Grin

The claps, just need to mount them and settle the length of the bottom brace.

You thought I was not prepared for that? This is her embroidery station, Ott lamp, magnifier, plan clamp, side table and thread holder.