Has Sellers Gone Off the Deep End?
By training classes, AHill probably means the masterclasses.

Simon
(05-06-2019, 09:42 AM)Bob Lang Wrote: Way back when at PopWood we decided that editorially it was a good thing for authors to have personalities; most magazines edit so that every author sounds the same. For me it makes for a more interesting read when author A sounds different from author B. But like anything else this can be taken too far and the author wants to be a personality. I want the focus to be on the work, and the qualifications to be pieces of furniture not numbers of followers.

That's one of the things I loved about PWW back when you guys were running it.  

As to Sellers, well, he's not wrong about England and Texas.  England was and is still MUCH more class-conscious than most of America, and Texas is about the least class-conscious place in America I know.  I'm glad his manual skills earned respect in Texas.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(05-02-2019, 09:18 PM)David Katz Wrote: Sellers the Class Warrier

I was fortunate to have taken several of Paul's classes at Homestead Heritage near Waco.  I was one of those who watched Paul closely, and I learned a great deal. 

For instance, Paul would often just guess the exact length of something before he measured it, he said it was a good brain exercise.  To this day I still do this exercise, and not just with woodworking.  When someone asks me what time it is, I  just guess, and I've gotten very good at the estimation by practicing over the years.  I could go on and on.
(05-07-2019, 04:25 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: By training classes, AHill probably means the masterclasses.

Simon

No, live students at his facility in the UK.  He calls them "events".  He probably derives more income, however, from his online subscriptions (Masterclasses).
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-08-2019, 03:11 PM)AHill Wrote: No, live students at his facility in the UK.  He calls them "events".  He probably derives more income, however, from his online subscriptions (Masterclasses).

Are you sure he's still teaches live students at his new facility in Oxfordshire? I don't think he does.
I didn't read through all the posts, reading them was drudgery .Sellers does write better than you guys, and me for that mater. But unlike most if not all of you, I have worked with British tradesmen all my working life. We had a lot of them in Canada. They came over after the war. The great depression went from 1919 to roughly 1961 in England. Class distinctions did leave the men scarred. It showed in their politics and in their thievery.
A man of foolish pursuits
(05-08-2019, 05:49 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: I didn't read through all the posts, reading them was drudgery.

I don't know whether or not Sellers writes better than the members in this forum, but your first comment applies well to Sellers' posts. It is not a criticism of any sort, but a fact. He may be under time pressure to write, or he simply does not organize his thoughts before he puts them on paper. In any case, he really needs an editor if he wants people to read his posts. A good editor can be someone in his team, his wife, or even one of his local supporters.

Simon
(05-08-2019, 08:53 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I don't know whether or not Sellers writes better than the members in this forum, but your first comment applies well to Sellers' posts. It is not a criticism of any sort, but a fact. He may be under time pressure to write, or he simply does not organize his thoughts before he puts them on paper. In any case, he really needs an editor if he wants people to read his posts. A good editor can be someone in his team, his wife, or even one of his local supporters.

Simon

At this point in his blogging career I think a grammatical tune-up might blow away too many readers. It's also his trait to ramble. If nothing else, we spend more time deciphering what he is saying.
(05-10-2019, 09:22 PM)hbmcc Wrote: At this point in his blogging career I think a grammatical tune-up might blow away too many readers. It's also his trait to ramble. If nothing else, we spend more time deciphering what he is saying.
"If nothing else, we spend more time deciphering what he is saying."

SO !!!!!!! Surprise !!!!! I am NOT the only one !!!!!!
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset