Micro-controllers, sensors, switches, actuators and software controls for woodworking
(05-09-2019, 06:03 PM)teetomterrific Wrote: ... comments regarding developing a repository of open source plans and software in the Woodnet community that others less digitally literate could easily leverage in their shop because those of those of us that do work with software and hardware have already taken the pain out of the process for them. These were my main reasons for starting this thread in the first place.

Quick review of OSS cred for the two projects.

Arduino is open source, licensed under gpl and lgpl. Xojo, is not open source, it is proprietary, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xojo

I checked github https://github.com/xojo and I don't see xojo's core code just peripheral projects. Arduino.. all the code is right here: https://github.com/arduino

Arduino has thousands of OSS contributors. Xojo.. has a couple OSS contributors.

Shrug.
**Sigh**
Making the code open source and plans open source and apps license free regardless of who creates them or the language they are created in. Pearl, Java. C++, VB, Xojo or whatever you are comfortable in. Open source is about sharing the results openly without licensing fees, not about the copyrighted language you use.

-Edit: Of course the hardware choice is completely up to the contributor as well. I have been focused on what I personally want to work with for now but I'm more than willing to collaborate on other hardware as well.
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
(05-09-2019, 07:44 PM)teetomterrific Wrote: **Sigh**
Making the code open source and plans open source and apps license free regardless of who creates them or the language they are created in. Pearl, Java. C++, VB, Xojo or whatever you are comfortable in. Open source is about sharing the results openly without licensing fees, not about the copyrighted language you use.

-Edit: Of course the hardware choice is completely up to the contributor as well. I have been focused on what I personally want to work with for now but I'm more than willing to collaborate on other hardware as well.

You lost me.. :-) How does anything you said related to anything I said?

License free? What OSS is license free? Your definition of OSS is not the same as for any OSS I've ever worked on. Just because ALL OSS software has a license that does not mean OSS has licensing fees. Typically (99.99999% of the time) the license does not have any discussion of licensing fees other than to say there shall be none.

Since you bring it up, whether or not languages can be copyrighted is an interesting discussion, and has still to be resolved by the SCOTUS, but this is immaterial to the discussion, yes?
(05-10-2019, 01:53 PM)RKMBrown© Wrote: You lost me.. :-) How does anything you said related to anything I said?

License free? What OSS is license free? Your definition of OSS is not the same as for any OSS I've ever worked on. Just because ALL OSS software has a license that does not mean OSS has licensing fees. Typically (99.99999% of the time) the license does not have any discussion of licensing fees other than to say there shall be none.

Since you bring it up, whether or not languages can be copyrighted is an interesting discussion, and has still to be resolved by the SCOTUS, but this is immaterial to the discussion, yes?

RKMBrown©, Honestly I cannot for the life of me understand why you interpret what I have said so obtusely. I'm not going to get into a continuing semantics argument about the definition of Open Source Software which can be found here: The Open Source Definition (Annotated) I realize that word order matters, and by saying "license free", I should have said "free licence" in the strictest sense of Open Source Software. However, I have clearly been speaking of open source in a broader context that includes plans for hardware builds and accompanying software with source code required to complete a combination hardware and software project. My usage of open source encompassed the whole project and not just open source software, (or OSS as you seem to be most fond of). Lastly since Open Source Software, as defined in the link I posted above, only deals with project source code, and has no requirements that the development environment used to author the source code also be open source, your comments regarding my IDE of choice, Xojo, not being open source are not applicable or relevant. I stated quite clearly that Xojo has a small but very loyal user base. I encouraged others to check it out and asked specifically for interested parties to respond if they would like to collaborate on a broad project that included my own contributions that would benefit the entire Woodnet community.

If you have nothing to actually contribute towards the goals I stated in my original and subsequent posts, I'm asking you as nicely as I can to cease trolling this thread and allow those that actually might be interested to have a productive discussion of ideas. If no one is actually interested then this thread will quietly die a silent death of disinterest. I refuse to allow it to decend into a flame war so this is the last time I am going to respond to you regarding open Source definitions and my intentions. 

--Tom
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
(05-10-2019, 07:01 PM)teetomterrific Wrote: RKMBrown©, Honestly I cannot for the life of me understand why you interpret what I have said so obtusely. I'm not going to get into a continuing semantics argument about the definition of Open Source Software which can be found here: The Open Source Definition (Annotated) I realize that word order matters, and by saying "license free", I should have said "free licence" in the strictest sense of Open Source Software. However, I have clearly been speaking of open source in a broader context that includes plans for hardware builds and accompanying software with source code required to complete a combination hardware and software project. My usage of open source encompassed the whole project and not just open source software, (or OSS as you seem to be most fond of). Lastly since Open Source Software, as defined in the link I posted above, only deals with project source code, and has no requirements that the development environment used to author the source code also be open source, your comments regarding my IDE of choice, Xojo, not being open source are not applicable or relevant. I stated quite clearly that Xojo has a small but very loyal user base. I encouraged others to check it out and asked specifically for interested parties to respond if they would like to collaborate on a broad project that included my own contributions that would benefit the entire Woodnet community.

If you have nothing to actually contribute towards the goals I stated in my original and subsequent posts, I'm asking you as nicely as I can to cease trolling this thread and allow those that actually might be interested to have a productive discussion of ideas. If no one is actually interested then this thread will quietly die a silent death of disinterest. I refuse to allow it to decend into a flame war so this is the last time I am going to respond to you regarding open Source definitions and my intentions. 

--Tom

obtuse? You honestly think free license has the same meaning as license free? Do you get triggered every time someone explains something to you, or is this a special occasion?

FYI when someone puts a smile emoticon after a sentence it's not because they are trying to soften you up before they head into a hate filled obtuse diatribe designed to anger you.

Xojo is not just the IDE you picked, it's a programming environment, a programming language, and more particularly a corporation named Xojo, Inc. It's out of Austin, where I live. Their products are proprietary, not open source.

OSS is the commonly used abbreviation, you brought up open source first when describing a set of projects built on this proprietary stuff, fondness? Dude, you are reaching, out of "loyalty" I suppose.

At hand is an interesting choice...  work on the platform Arduino with commonly used programming languages along with a huge established community, or... work on the closed platform Xojo with an uncommonly used programming language along with a small focused community and insider help.  There are pros and cons each way.