Need recommendation for an airless paint sprayer
A HVLP sprayer is easier to use.  You have to thin the paint so more coats.  But a very nice finish.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
The painter that has done some spraying here is coming next week to do the job. No doubt the best possible solution.Thanks again to everyone for the advice,

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(05-05-2019, 08:56 PM)shoottmx Wrote: We need to repaint 8 interior doors in our house. They were spray painted originally and have a gorgeous smooth finish--it's just the wrong color for the house today. I'd like to repaint them using Sherwin Williams Emerald urethane trim enamel with an airless sprayer but have no recent experience. SW recommends 2000 psi with a .013-.017" tip. I did do some varnish spraying years ago finishing golf clubs so am somewhat familiar with checking viscosity, maintaining clean equipment and filtering paint but have never used an airless sprayer or sprayed anything as large as a door, much less 8 of them.

Is there a gun in the $100-150 range that would work in this application? 

Thanks for reading,
g

Like others said if you're just trying to get a couple doors painted you'd be best off just finding a painter where you can have him do the work. Or you can do it yourself but you'll need a decent space. To save some dough you could just rent an airless with a 311 tip, which should give your a decent spray width.

Just be aware airless spray fast soo if you haven't used one before their could be a bit of a learning curve. I'd check out: https://toolboxadvice.com/best-airless-paint-sprayers/ or https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/categor...ayers.html
(05-07-2019, 09:32 AM)shoottmx Wrote: The painter that has done some spraying here is coming next week to do the job. No doubt the best possible solution.Thanks again to everyone for the advice,

g

Best choice !!
Jason the painter did a fantastic job on the doors, they look like they were done in a factory. Thank heavens you guys talked me out of a DIY project, I'd have had one helluva mess. I doubt it took him more than 15 seconds to spray a door. About 6 passes top to bottom then bottom to top and he was done. Took way longer to clean the spray rig than to spray the 12 door sides.

Woodnetters are a wealth of experience, thank you all for sharing,

g

A couple of the pro painters on commercial jobs are using the Harbor Freight airless sprayer. It used to be under $100 but has gotten very popular. The paint guys really like them for small jobs but for big ones they use the big sprayers that can handle a long hose.
(05-19-2019, 06:34 AM)shoottmx Wrote: Jason the painter did a fantastic job on the doors, they look like they were done in a factory. Thank heavens you guys talked me out of a DIY project, I'd have had one helluva mess. I doubt it took him more than 15 seconds to spray a door. About 6 passes top to bottom then bottom to top and he was done. Took way longer to clean the spray rig than to spray the 12 door sides.

Woodnetters are a wealth of experience, thank you all for sharing,

g

Happy to hear it worked out well.  

What type/brand of sprayer and what paint did he use?  

John
(05-19-2019, 09:32 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Happy to hear it worked out well.  

What type/brand of sprayer and what paint did he use?  

John

john,

He used Sherwin Williams Emerald urethane trim enamel which is water based. His sprayer was very similar to this Graco Model # 262906  Home Depot rents 

g

(05-19-2019, 10:23 AM)shoottmx Wrote: john,

He used Sherwin Williams Emerald urethane trim enamel which is water based. His sprayer was very similar to this Graco Model # 262906  Home Depot rents 

g

Thanks very much.  Emerald looks a lot like BM's Advance which is a great product, too.  I'll keep it on my list for future projects.  

John
(05-19-2019, 08:52 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: A couple of the pro painters on commercial jobs are using the Harbor Freight airless sprayer. It used to be under $100 but has gotten very popular. The paint guys really like them for small jobs but for big ones they use the big sprayers that can handle a long hose.

now days the HF airless is just a few bucks cheaper than the graco it compares itself to.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark