Dust Collector Upgrade, Delta 50-760, SDD
(05-16-2019, 02:38 PM)Jeffhay Wrote: How hard was it to stretch the 4" opening of the Fernco over the 5" port on the Delta?  I have a sheet metal and foil tape fitting that works, but isn't really durable and I've been looking for something better.  Also, is it flexible in the vertical direction?  Meaning, can you lift the DD off the container without disconnecting anything?
Even though they call it a 4x6 the actual ID dimensions are 5.18 inches and 6.39 inches Fernco 1002-46.  The fit is actually very loose but the clamp is able to seal it up.  In this picture you can see that it's slightly distorted:

[Image: kBUAV8u.jpg]

Flexing in the vertical would be difficult.  I've allowed about 1 inch at the top to give me room to lift the lid.  Here is what I've come up with to support the lid while emptying the bin - a lashing strap and a couple of footman loops:

[Image: G7ugiRi.jpg] 

[Image: cnMY23P.jpg]

[Image: iM9rDH7.jpg]
That's an excellent design and very nice work.  I really like how compact all the components are and how you incorporated the DD.

Lonnie
(05-16-2019, 09:48 PM)Sullivan Wrote: Even though they call it a 4x6 the actual ID dimensions are 5.18 inches and 6.39 inches Fernco 1002-46.  The fit is actually very loose but the clamp is able to seal it up.  In this picture you can see that it's slightly distorted:

[Image: kBUAV8u.jpg]

Flexing in the vertical would be difficult.  I've allowed about 1 inch at the top to give me room to lift the lid.  Here is what I've come up with to support the lid while emptying the bin - a lashing strap and a couple of footman loops:

[Image: G7ugiRi.jpg] 

[Image: cnMY23P.jpg]

[Image: iM9rDH7.jpg]

Thanks!  I have a round yellow 30 gallon barrel with my SDD on top of it.  Not sure if I could make a strap setup work.  But it's got potential.  

I'd be interested in hearing more about that air flow meter.  What kind of CFM are you getting?  I think my shop is right on the edge of needing a 3hp for the runs I would like.  But the Delta has been working great with the SDD and Wynn.
People always ask me "What skill do you use the most in woodworking?" and I always tell them "Sweeping."
The strap ended up working pretty well.  I did have to add a small piece of paracord to keep it from tipping.

[Image: nFzKKsEl.jpg]

[Image: Aq6acCsl.jpg]

The "Air Flow" gauge is actually a "your filter is clogged" pressure gauge and is where this whole SDD project started.  I had cleaned my filter and wanted to add a way to tell when the filter was getting clogged (other than just a loss of suction).  I had seen the homemade tubing manometers but wanted something a little nicer.  I tried a Radonaway manometer but ended up with a red mess all over my dust collector - too much pressure and not enough "range".

[Image: FJuFl4nm.jpg]

This 0-10" water column gauge from Amazon worked much better. Amazon 0-10" WC Gauge

Starting with a clean filter I "calibrated" it using a trash bag to represent 100% clogged.

[Image: 9He0zVWl.jpg]

[Image: bIJo1mwl.jpg]

and then used my wife's label maker to revise the dial.

[Image: smvNORIl.jpg]

I do not know how many CFMs I'm getting
(05-06-2019, 08:08 PM)Sullivan Wrote: [Image: G3EQ5Kt.jpg]

As others have done I raised the unit using 1" conduit (painted gray to sort of match).  By moving the filter to below the unit it is actually shorter than before.

I hate asking dumb questions, but my 50-760 legs are larger in diameter than 1", 1 1/64" to be exact. How did you use 1" conduit to raise the unit?

Hank Gillette
Hank Gillette
(09-03-2019, 06:27 PM)hankgillette Wrote: I hate asking dumb questions, but my 50-760 legs are larger in diameter than 1", 1 1/64" to be exact. How did you use 1" conduit to raise the unit?

Hank Gillette

OD of 50-760 legs = 1.006"

[Image: ecnAd0z.jpg]

ID of 1" EMT Conduit = 1.050".  Home Depot says 1.049" Home Depot 1" EMT Conduit

[Image: I4OLVCH.jpg]

Fits pretty well...

[Image: 2kZs9FN.jpg]

I bought 1 stick of 10 ft conduit and cut it into 4x 30" pieces.

[Image: aY4Pwah.jpg?1]

Here's the bottom:

[Image: 6xYbCxb.jpg]
Thanks. For some reason, I thought 1" conduit would be exactly 1".
Hank Gillette
@sullivan

If you don't mind me asking, how are you handling the odd bits that make it past the cyclone to the filter?  Any plans for a cleanout box at the bottom of the filter?
(12-12-2019, 08:32 AM)nuk Wrote: @sullivan

If you don't mind me asking, how are you handling the odd bits that make it past the cyclone to the filter?  Any plans for a cleanout box at the bottom of the filter?

In theory very little other than small fines should make it past the cyclone.  If enough gets past to reduce the air flow I will clean it out then -  I figure when air flow is reduced by 50% or so.  In the 7 months since I finished the modifications suction is still very strong and the air flow needle hasn't budged from 100%.  I think I've emptied the bin 3 times in that timespan.

If something big does happen to make it through, the lid (now the bottom) is only held on by 4 of these "hose clamp" hooks:

[Image: q4X7yol.jpg]

[Image: 7jhfBML.jpg]
Do you have an pictures that details how you attached the top plate on the outlet.  I am putting a donut on my bottom outlet (my Wynn filter is still on top as normal) to replace that plastic bag with a 7 gallon bucket mounted with a Gamma 2 lid.  I am using some Wynn clips.  But would like to see some alternatives as well.
_____
Darrell