Rikon impeller HF DC upgrade
This may very well have been covered in the past, but I hadn’t seen it until recently.

Rikon makes a replacement DC impeller that’s a direct replacement for the undersized impeller in the HF dc.

I purchased one for $117 including shipping, and installed it yesterday I don’t have equipment to measure airflow, but it seems to have made a significant improvement in airflow.

I have a clear thein top hat on top of a trash can and there’s definitely more velocity keeping dust to the outside and higher on the sidewalls.

Duke
Got any before and after motor current measurements, under the exact same operating conditions of course?
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
No I didn’t do any current draw measurements, I’m sure it’s drawing more, but my thought is I’d rather have better performance and if I burn up a motor, I’ll replace it as well.

From searches, it looks like lots of people have used this impeller on the hf dc, so I’m sure those numbers are out there

Duke
I think I saw a YouTube vid of replacement like that.

Did you have to increase the inlet size with that new impeller? 

My HF conversion uses 5-inch ducting since the inlet is 5-inch and the inlet on the Super Dust Deputy is 5-inch.  If I was to pursue a new impeller would I see a corresponding performance increase?  I know there's gobs of factors in play for DC systems.

My DC system seems to do OK; it's the first one I've built and installed; the system has been in operation for a few months.  I have taken a meter and measured airflow, so I really don't know how "good" it is, but it can keep up with my planer and that sits at the end of the longest run. However, as a guy who grew up in the muscle car era, I'm culturally inclined to the "more power" solution to every problem.
Lumberjocks has a huge number of HF DC fans, and several of them changed to that impeller with no ill effects (at least none that said so). That DC is so popular over there I sometimes think they should start a forum just for it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I found the rikon impeller on their website, it's in stock right now.
https://www.rikonparts.com/product/impeller-c-5-4-2
(05-10-2019, 11:18 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Lumberjocks has a huge number of HF DC fans, and several of them changed to that impeller with no ill effects (at least none that said so). That DC is so popular over there I sometimes think they should start a forum just for it.

There once was a time...