Barn Sale goodies
About froze me tail feathers off, and only spent $4....at one sale...I did turn down 3 more axes..
Uhoh However..

half of the money was spent on these two items...North Bros No. 30A, 3 patent dates, bad spring.  Square has a "Winchester" trade mark...that nib?
Confused

Belongs to the big rip saw....which has split nuts...

But, no medallion...

Seems to be a 5-1/2  point.   The smaller Panel saw?

A bit fancy, but has a WS medallion...yet what I can read of the etch on the saw plate, inside a banner,...SIMONDS SAW CO.
No sign of any cracks, bends or kinks in either saw...might be worth the price ?
Rolleyes 

Dollar a piece?   Works for me
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
The 30A did not have a return spring (two-digit numbers on the drivers: no spring/three-digit numbers: spring); a 130 would have had one.  North Bros. (and Stanley, at least for a while after they purchased North Bros.) offered the Yankee drivers with and without a spring.  The spring was quicker in use, but I'm told some trim carpenters preferred the non-quick-return/no spring versions, because they could be confident they wouldn't accidentally release the catch and send the screwdriver surging forward to make tracks all over freshly varnished/painted trim.

So the spring's not bad; just not present.  It doesn't take long, in my experience, to get used to holding the collar with one hand, keeping the screwdriver engaged, while pumping with the other.

Nice finds.
Hard to read the data plate....it might be a 130A?    It does have that bolt in the end of the handle....hmmm, was able to see things a bit better..."No. 30A"
day 2....spent $0.26 on two items just down the road from the barn Sale, this morning....mostly on a "Quarter Baggie"
Winkgrin 

Might come in handy...as for the remaining penny?  
Confused 

Then drove up north of town to "Russel-Tucky, OH"  final day of the village wide sales....Price on the saw was $5,,paid $4...

was a tad rusty, but complete..
Winkgrin 

need to tear it all down, and remove all the brown stuff..
Rolleyes 

maybe see about a new saw blade?   IF they still sell them
Confused 

Will see how the rehab goes
Cool
Not a bad price on the miter box.  If the new Adjustable Clamp doesn't sell blades, you might see if one of the wider turning saw blades from places like Highland can be made/cut/modified to fit.
All cleaned up..
Cool

And even making sawdust
Cool 

Didn't do too badly, either...
Winkgrin 

Might be a keeper?   Blade is still quite sharp, too.
(05-12-2019, 08:46 AM)bandit571 Wrote: All cleaned up..
Cool

And even making sawdust
Cool 

Didn't do too badly, either...
Winkgrin 

Might be a keeper?   Blade is still quite sharp, too.

What are the guides constructed of? What is the saw back (tube) constructed of?

Highland Hardware sells a variety of bow saw blades in several lengths.

T.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Guides are metal.    Tube is just that..a steel tube.   Blade was rusty, but still quite sharp...
(05-12-2019, 09:37 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Guides are metal.    Tube is just that..a steel tube.   Blade was rusty, but still quite sharp...

Thanks-design (by maker) could have supercharged the design with oil-impregnated bronze bushings inside the guides, but still looks like a good one.

Reminds me of a late 70's Sears Craftsman miter saw that had half round guides for the saw, but the problem was the guides were some plastic substance! Bought the miter box, but flexed terribly when in use. Returned it for the first Sears powered miter saw. Still have it, use it occasionally, but a great design, easy to square and adjust, and holds!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
If I recall correctly, that general design originated with one of the European toolmakers - but can't remember, and my brain, anymore, resembles a rusted colander, so don't rely on the idea.