Antique Lathe Question
[Image: 33823323928_23b8ec56b2.jpg]

I'm working on a model of a 12 in. lathe. The original was made in the 1800s and was run off a belt from an overhead line shaft. I'm curious to know how big the wheel on the shaft might have been for running something like this. Is there anyone around who has any experience with this sort of thing? I was going to ask if there are any old timers around but it occurs to me that I'm getting to be one of those old timers so I won't ask that.
Wink

I'm guessing the upper wheel might have also been stepped.

FWIW, I'm modeling this so it can be 3D printed for a display project.
If you don't get a reply I can check with Patrick Haire in Humboldt, KS who has a fully functioning 1880's woodshop. Pat knows this equipment inside and out and it all runs on a line shaft system.

Do you have a manufacturer and model number to reference ?

Bill
(05-10-2019, 01:58 PM)wjt Wrote: If you don't get a reply I can check with Patrick Haire in Humboldt, KS who has a fully functioning 1880's woodshop. Pat knows this equipment inside and out and it all runs on a line shaft system.

Do you have a manufacturer and model number to reference ?

Bill

Thanks Bill!

No. Unfortunately I don't know who made it or the model number. I'm modeling it from dimensioned drawings I found for all of the parts. It's been an interesting project.
Take a trip over OWWM.org.  There's a lot of very knowledgeable people there including many that have or use line shaft equipment.
OWWM has a calculator somewhere,  I can't recall where, but found this on google.   All you need to decide is the rpm's you want for the piece on the lathe, plug in the size of the pulley on the lathe, and it will spit out the size of the driving wheel.  https://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belteng.aspx
(05-10-2019, 01:08 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: I'm working on a model of a 12 in. lathe. The original was made in the 1800s and was run off a belt from an overhead line shaft. I'm curious to know how big the wheel on the shaft might have been for running something like this. Is there anyone around who has any experience with this sort of thing? I was going to ask if there are any old timers around but it occurs to me that I'm getting to be one of those old timers so I won't ask that.
Wink

I'm guessing the upper wheel might have also been stepped.

FWIW, I'm modeling this so it can be 3D printed for a display project.
Decide what rpm you're after, and what motor you'll be using and go here.  http://culvermotor.com/Engineering-Formu...lator.html

Or here:  https://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belteng.aspx

You're the one using it, previous users are likely not available....

Notice the reply above. I would suggest that the motor is the given, the pulleys are te variables. So start with say, 1725 and use it for all calculations.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Dave
years ago I spent many a day in my uncle's machine shop all ran with line shafts
all the machines that had step pulleys for multiple speeds were driven from a separate jack shafts from the overhead line shaft
The perfect example is shown if you look at. ..... line shafts Wikipedia. .....
That shows exactly what you are looking for the jack shafts had the mating step pulleys and the stop and start run function pulleys set (one fixed to the shaft the other spun freely )
Thanks gentlemen.

Fortunately I don't need to model the entire drive system for this display. Probably just up to the jack shaft.
Usually the stepped pulley on the jackshaft would be the sama size as on the lathe itself.

The gearing would be between the lineshaft and the jackshaft. There would be a fast and loose pulley setup for that belt on the jackshaft for switching the power on and off.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(05-11-2019, 02:30 PM)TGW Wrote: Usually the stepped pulley on the jackshaft would be the sama size as on the lathe itself.

The gearing would be between the lineshaft and the jackshaft. There would be a fast and loose pulley setup for that belt on the jackshaft for switching the power on and off.

Thank you. That would make it easier because I could just copy the pulley from the lathe and only do the fast and loose pulley arrangement.